A Limit of Reds and Some Bonus Trout

Zackthefisherman

A Limit of Reds and Some Bonus Trout

Post by Zackthefisherman »

My brother and I made another trip to Brown and Root this morning. We launched around sunrise and headed towards the area we found Reds stacked up last time. On the way there I picked up three Trout, one being a keeper. Upon getting to our intended spot, I immediately picked up two lower slot Reds. Things slowed down, so we went hunting for more fish. Up to this point, all fish were caught on a silver and black Hunchback.

After some time exploring we found a shallow flat that was stacked with Redfish! After spooking a few Reds I noticed a big bronze tail waving in the air. I hoped out of my yak, fly rod in hand, hoping to sneak up on him. He disappeared but after some concentration, I realized there were Reds scattered all over the flat. I picked a target, placed a good cast, made a few quick strips, and then boom fish on! Unfortunately, in the excitement of my first Red on the fly, I set the hook too hard breaking the fish off.

I stuck with my fly rod for a while, but the thick grass proved too much for my flies. I switched to a weedless DSL and picked up a 20-inch trout and an undersized Red. During this time my brother was able to pick up a slot Red, his first. At this point, things were slowing down, so we began our paddle back. On the way in I picked up another slot Red giving me my first limit out of a kayak.

With each trip, I'm beginning to pick up on patterns and gain confidence on the flats. Overall it was a great learning experience, and most importantly a great way to spend a day with my little brother before he heads off to college this fall.
Zackthefisherman

Re: A Limit of Reds and Some Bonus Trout

Post by Zackthefisherman »

Pictures
uploadfromtaptalk1499824371222.JPG
uploadfromtaptalk1499824352850.jpg
Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Well done and good report! Thanks for sharing. That is the way to catch them.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Great report. Fishing with your brother is about the greatest thing ever. Am I right?
JMS

Post by JMS »

Good report; Brown and Root can be feast or famine glad you were able to get on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk