theletterandrew

Fort Anahuac Park Launch

Post by theletterandrew »

7/4/17
Fishing app major time 8:42 AM - 11:12 AM
High Tide at 9:38 AM
Fish caught between 10 and 11 AM
Launch: Fort Anahuac Park

Hey everyone, I’m happy to be writing my first successful fishing report! As a newbie, I’ve had a lot of frustration recently as I’ve gone out on the water numerous times so far and only caught rat reds and catfish.

This morning, me and my buddy met up at the Anahuac boat ramp at Fort Anahuac Park. We drove down a way, because as it turns out, launching from the point isn’t so bad from a kayak. The plan was to paddle to these “fishing hotspots” I got out of a fishing atlas. We get to the first one after a mile or so and there’s no action. I even brought some dead shrimp because, as I mentioned, I’d been getting tired of getting skunked. I was going to catch a fish darn it!

After a while of no bites, my buddy hooks up to a catfish. Even though it was a catfish, and a small one, I feel a sense of relief. That’s a success in my book and I can go home happy knowing that one of us caught a fish. By this time, we had drifted away from our first location and towards these islands near the mouth of the river. Now, the night before I had watched a troutsupport.com video and something from it had stuck with me- one of the guides in the video said catching redfish was like bass fishing. Well, I may be a newbie at saltwater, but I have a lot of freshwater experience and something was telling me we should check out the shorelines to these islands.

So, as I’m drifting along throwing a gold spoon, I hook my first real redfish and man, I must say, they hit a lot harder than a bass! I reel him in while I’m yelling for my buddy to come over. My buddy comes over and we take a picture, then I go to measure him on the side of my boat. 20 inches on the money. My first thought was “dinner”, but I wanted to make certain that he was 20 inches because I wasn’t going to jail for this fish. So, as I’m going to remeasure this fish, he makes like a worm and wiggles his way out of my hands! Darn! Well, at least we got the picture. Then, maybe 20 minutes later, my buddy hooks into one on a hover shrimp! We got a picture, but the fish wasn’t quite in the slot so we had to let him go.

Later, I hook into a big guy and we have quite a fight. I get him to the boat and as I reach for the net, he comes unhooked! I was so disappointed. I wasn’t for too long though, because another 20 minutes later and I’m hooked up with another fish- except this one I got all the way to the boat only for the line to snap! This happens one more time with an even bigger fish and I’m thinking I’ve got to do something different about my line.

Finally, my buddy brings one in that’s big enough for dinner, which I must say was amazing. After that the bite slowed down and we ran out of energy to keep paddling, so we made our way back to the vehicles and called it a day.
PS: I was using 12lb mono but just switched to 20 lb mono. However, I’m curious about braid. Is there any reason for me to not switch over?
GClyde28

Re: Fort Anahuac Park Launch

Post by GClyde28 »

Put some 20 or 30 lb braid (it will be 6-8lb diameter) and tie it to a 20lb flourocarbon leader about 30" long.

Look up knots that tie braid directly to the flouro leader without a swivel. Should help with your breaking off problem a to. Love fishing Fort Anahuac, it's a go to spot in the fall for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lahai1dj

Post by lahai1dj »

Niiice!

I switched from mono to braid after I kept losing big fish to broken line. Braid has less stretch than mono, most knots are stronger with it, and it transmits better so you'll be able to feel the bottom terrain changes. Unfortunately, good braid will cost you about $30 to spool your reel.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Congrats on your first red! I caught my first red in same waters NW of islands you were fishing. :-)

I suggest Power Pro 30lb braid (moss-green). It is not the best casting distance wise, but is reliable "old horse" that doesn't get too many wind knots.
You should probably use leader (at this point you need any help you can get), but as you get experience -- you'll likely stop using it. For leader use Bass Pro Shop XPS -- it is the best fluorocarbon line I know for saltwater. Read this.

Use 25lb+ range and tie it to main line using Red Philips knot. Tie jig using Palomar knot and check it from time to time for strength. Once you stop using leader -- you'll never have your line break.

One pattern I found in Anahuac pocket was if water is high -- look for reds along the grass line in the morning/evening. Otherwise check between islands. Check river mouth for flatties. Drift deeper water (3-4 fow) for reds and trout (especially if you see any bird activity) . Or troll shallow crankbait.

Btw, did you feel any salt in the water or it is still fresh?
TigerLandSportsman

Fort Anahuac Park Launch

Post by TigerLandSportsman »

GClyde28 wrote:Put some 20 or 30 lb braid (it will be 6-8lb diameter) and tie it to a 20lb flourocarbon leader about 30" long.

Look up knots that tie braid directly to the flouro leader without a swivel. Should help with your breaking off problem a to. Love fishing Fort Anahuac, it's a go to spot in the fall for me.

X2 I use fins windtamer

Sounds like a great trip, congrats on the success.
theletterandrew

Crusader wrote:Congrats on your first red! I caught my first red in same waters NW of islands you were fishing. :-)

I suggest Power Pro 30lb braid (moss-green). It is not the best casting distance wise, but is reliable "old horse" that doesn't get too many wind knots.
You should probably use leader (at this point you need any help you can get), but as you get experience -- you'll likely stop using it. For leader use Bass Pro Shop XPS -- it is the best fluorocarbon line I know for saltwater. Read this.

Use 25lb+ range and tie it to main line using Red Philips knot. Tie jig using Palomar knot and check it from time to time for strength. Once you stop using leader -- you'll never have your line break.

One pattern I found in Anahuac pocket was if water is high -- look for reds along the grass line in the morning/evening. Otherwise check between islands. Check river mouth for flatties. Drift deeper water (3-4 fow) for reds and trout (especially if you see any bird activity) . Or troll shallow crankbait.

Btw, did you feel any salt in the water or it is still fresh?
I guess I don't know how to tell whether or not the water is salty. Could you explain?
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

It was really fun reading your original post Mr. theletterandrew. Could feel the excitement in your voice as you wrote this. You have been given some good advice in this thread so couple that with more time on the water and you'll be an expert in no time!

Braid is the way to go!

Tight lines!
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Great fishing report and congrats!!
I have been on a streak of getting broke off recently and was wondering if I should go to braid also. After reading all the replies I think I'll give it a shot. :)
theletterandrew

Drifting Yak wrote:It was really fun reading your original post Mr. theletterandrew. Could feel the excitement in your voice as you wrote this. You have been given some good advice in this thread so couple that with more time on the water and you'll be an expert in no time!

Braid is the way to go!

Tight lines!
Thanks for the kind words. I'll keep at it!
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

theletterandrew wrote:I guess I don't know how to tell whether or not the water is salty. Could you explain?
Well, I check it by sticking my finger into water and then putting it into mouth. :D
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

X3 on fins windtamer. 20lb test.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
theletterandrew

Crusader wrote:
theletterandrew wrote:I guess I don't know how to tell whether or not the water is salty. Could you explain?
Well, I check it by sticking my finger into water and then putting it into mouth. :D
Well then in that case, I don't know whether or not the water was fresh. I'll include this ultra scientific test in my next fishing report though!
theletterandrew

Cityfisher wrote:Great fishing report and congrats!!
I have been on a streak of getting broke off recently and was wondering if I should go to braid also. After reading all the replies I think I'll give it a shot. :)
Best of luck! I ended up going with 30 lb (spiderwire), because I'll be darned if another fish breaks off.
surfpunk
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by surfpunk »

I use 50# suffix 832 braid same diameter as 10lb mono, tied straight to lure with a palomar knot. I never break off, or have any trouble hooking up from clear to dirty water. Been doing it this way for 4 years Reds, trout, and flounder.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

First of all, when I finally switched to braid, years after most of my buddies, I had to admit it was a long time coming. Longer casting, greater sensitivity, virtually no stretch. All good things...

BUT...make no mistake fish break off for many reasons and you will be a better angler more from understanding those reasons than from switching lines. I landed many big fish on 10-14 pound mono line, from near-shore bull reds to black drum at the jetties. All it takes is patience, a little breathing room, a good drag and a little skill. Braid can make up for some of this, but you will be better in the long run if you learn, or realize a few things about how or why fish break off.

1 - Drag too tight. Gets most of us at some point. It's better to have it set too light and be able to tighten down mid-fight
2 - Horsing a fish. It is usually a bad idea to try to force a big fish where it does not want to go. Braid can be good for giving you a margin of error in horsing fish when you need to, but in open water, there is no reason to horse a fish. In the tight quarters of the marsh, there is grass, shell, corners around which they want to swim....lots of reasons you may "need" to horse a fish. Braid is great for this, but one should learn how to properly play a fish
3 - Too green. This happens often with redfish and anglers who have not yet learned that reds usually come to hand easy at first, or so it may appear. Then they decide they want to wake up. Heard many an angler say, "it's a red, she just don't know she's hooked yet," followed by a screaming drag and a long hard run. Always be ready for a red to make a second or third run at the net (also applies to big trout)....and then a few belly rolls and a bunch of splashing when you get into the upper slot size range.
4 - A nick in your line. Shell, a fishes teeth, lots of things can damage your line on one fight and the next time you put weight on the line...pop. Fish gone. Braid is excellent for preventing this. So is a fluorocarbon or monofilament leader.
5 - Last but not least, bad knots. You'll know if it's this when your line comes back to you looking like a short hair, all curly. :lol: . I had such a hard time with a certain knot that I just learn some others and never went back to the one that I just couldn't learn. The palomar knot saved me a lot of heartbreak.
theletterandrew

Yaklash wrote:First of all, when I finally switched to braid, years after most of my buddies, I had to admit it was a long time coming. Longer casting, greater sensitivity, virtually no stretch. All good things...

BUT...make no mistake fish break off for many reasons and you will be a better angler more from understanding those reasons than from switching lines. I landed many big fish on 10-14 pound mono line, from near-shore bull reds to black drum at the jetties. All it takes is patience, a little breathing room, a good drag and a little skill. Braid can make up for some of this, but you will be better in the long run if you learn, or realize a few things about how or why fish break off.

1 - Drag too tight. Gets most of us at some point. It's better to have it set too light and be able to tighten down mid-fight
2 - Horsing a fish. It is usually a bad idea to try to force a big fish where it does not want to go. Braid can be good for giving you a margin of error in horsing fish when you need to, but in open water, there is no reason to horse a fish. In the tight quarters of the marsh, there is grass, shell, corners around which they want to swim....lots of reasons you may "need" to horse a fish. Braid is great for this, but one should learn how to properly play a fish
3 - Too green. This happens often with redfish and anglers who have not yet learned that reds usually come to hand easy at first, or so it may appear. Then they decide they want to wake up. Heard many an angler say, "it's a red, she just don't know she's hooked yet," followed by a screaming drag and a long hard run. Always be ready for a red to make a second or third run at the net (also applies to big trout)....and then a few belly rolls and a bunch of splashing when you get into the upper slot size range.
4 - A nick in your line. Shell, a fishes teeth, lots of things can damage your line on one fight and the next time you put weight on the line...pop. Fish gone. Braid is excellent for preventing this. So is a fluorocarbon or monofilament leader.
5 - Last but not least, bad knots. You'll know if it's this when your line comes back to you looking like a short hair, all curly. :lol: . I had such a hard time with a certain knot that I just learn some others and never went back to the one that I just couldn't learn. The palomar knot saved me a lot of heartbreak.
Thank you very much for this informative reply! I bet I was too eager to get them in the boat and that's why the line snapped.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Good stuff and thanks for including some photos to fill my eyeballs with.

Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

By the way, how was the red?
Looked like a good one for the grill!
theletterandrew

Cityfisher wrote:By the way, how was the red?
Looked like a good one for the grill!
It was amazing! We ate my buddy's fish because mine flopped out of the boat.