Port O'connor,Pierce Marsh, and Big Eddy trip reports

angryocotillo

Port O'connor,Pierce Marsh, and Big Eddy trip reports

Post by angryocotillo »

Last week I hung out with a friend at a condo he rented on the ICW in Port O'. We killed the Redfish and trout under the lights with with live shrimp and croaker. My friends dad taxied our kayaks to the well cut that goes toward Mule slough. We drifted all the way down with a wind coming out of the north and caught 3 keeper trout, a keeper sheepshead, and my friend broke off on a big redfish because he didn't have his drag set right. Also caught more rat reds than I could count all on live shrimp.

I got home and went out on Sunday to Pierce Marsh with a friend launching out of Louis baitcamp. Caught one 15" trout and had a decent size redfish spit the hook under the yak. All on live shrimp. Ran into a guy with two nice redfish at the yak who suggested we use topwater in the back of the marsh by the lake on the south side. I went back the next day and paddled way back into the Marsh and tried to find the lake, but could not (I know how to get to the lake on the North side) find it. Fished hard with the same exact lure the guy suggested, my favorite lure (a purple and silver queen cocahoe), and a small silver spoon with not a bite. Finally had to bust my butt back to the launch after a the wind picked up hard and a storm blew in from the south. Bait, redfish, and trout were everyhere this day and the day before.

Yesterday I decided to try my luck in freshwater,and went to big eddy just south of the lake houston dam on the san jacinto river. Caught some baby tilapia, shiners, and sunfish in a cast net and headed down into the eddy. Got one good bite on the shiner but missed the fish. The area was beautiful, but I only got to fish for an hour because I did not realize they shut down the place at 8 o'clock. I will be back again.