Aransas Pass 6/20

Zackthefisherman

Aransas Pass 6/20

Post by Zackthefisherman »

My brother and I made a day trip to AP yesterday. We started the morning at Lighthouse Lakes. There was tons of baitfish activity but it only produced a few dinks. We decided to head over to Brown and Root because we are more familiar with the water.

Before we even reached the flat I picked up a nice 17-inch trout. We drifted the flat for about an hour only picking up a few dink trout here and there. I made the decision to fish the wind blown shorelines of a few islands out in the middle of the flat. This is where things got fun! Within the next hour or so I picked up three slot reds up to 26 inches, a nearly 20-inch trout, and a few more rat reds. My brother also broke off two nice fish but for whatever reason, he couldn't get a keeper in the boat.

Again the fish were caught on a windblown shoreline. The water was about 1- 1.5 feet deep and had a mud bottom. All my fish came on a chicken on the c Down South Lure. My brother also had luck on a hunchback before breaking it off.
Zackthefisherman

Re: Aransas Pass 6/20

Some pictures
uploadfromtaptalk1498056029082.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1498056022239.jpg
The third slot Red was released because he came in right at 20 inchs with a folded tail. With my luck I figured a game warden would stop me and it would have shrunk. So I played it safe and let him go.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
PerryB

Post by PerryB »

Very nice! Well done
Jimnkaykay

Post by Jimnkaykay »

We fish the lakes often. It is usually hit and miss we have been wondering where else we could try in the area. Where is Brown and Root, and are there any other good spots to try?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Great report and glad you got on em! Nice stringer for sure. I've been itching to get out and fish but witht he high winds and now Cindy looks like I will not have any hair left when I do finally get to go out... :wink:
Zackthefisherman

Jimnkaykay wrote:We fish the lakes often. It is usually hit and miss we have been wondering where else we could try in the area. Where is Brown and Root, and are there any other good spots to try?
Brown and Root is on the opposite side of 361 as your headed towards the ferry. I'm pretty new to saltwater kayak fishing so I can't really help with other spots in the area.
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

Sounds like you had a good time in Brow and Root. I avoided that area because I don't know much about it. I need to just get out and fish different places rather than going to the same ones. It is the same with Wilson's cut. I drove out there to look at it but didn't fish it. I had limited days and chose to fish what I knew.
El Grandote

Post by El Grandote »

Great report Zack
Went out this morning. It was like a mill pond it was so still. Water was way up but the bite was good.