Fishing / Camping 6/14 thru 6/16 Surfside, Tx

Cityfisher

Fishing / Camping 6/14 thru 6/16 Surfside, Tx

Post by Cityfisher »

Location was down in Surfside, Tx. Got to the bay Wednesday afternoon about 2 pm and went straight to fishing.
I don't think I was fishing more than 30 minutes and got my first fish, a 16" flounder. Fished along the shorelines looking for reds but couldn't find any and did not see any signs of them. After about 2 hours doing that I noticed over to my left about 60 or 70 yards from shore 2 seagulls hovering and splashing down a few times and saw some blow ups below them. So I made my way to within casting distance and threw out to where I saw the blow ups. Not 2 twitches on my chartruess she-pup and bam, fish on. Turned out to be a decent 17" trout. I thought cool, this little trip might turn out to be pretty good. By the time I got the fish unhooked the rest were gone. Started getting late so I went back over to the beach side and set up my tent, got things ready for the night. I decided I wanted some fresh trout on the beach for dinner. Had some oil and Louisiana fish fry and it was on. As I didn't bring anything to go with it that's all I had and I ate every bit of that trout! Man oh man! Nothing like fresh fish right out of the water.
The bay water that afternoon was high, warm and slightly muddy. Fished with a cocohoe paddle tail and a she-pup. Caught the flounder on the paddle tail.
So after a very enjoyable evening in front of the fire I went to bed. Woke up Thursday morning to a more south southwesterly wind, stronger than it was predicted of course. Made some coffee and off to where I was fishing the evening before right at sun-up. The water had turned from slightly murkey to now chocolate milk and was a lot lower. It was not looking to good for fishing in this area so I decided to head back to my camp and have some breakfast. A couple of pop tarts and orange juice later I thought I would try that lower section of drum bay. Wow, when ya’ll said Drum bay is nothing but deep mud and shell ya’ll where right! A whole lot different than the main upper part of that bay. Every other cast I was getting hung up. Explored some different areas with no luck at all, except for hooking up with another nice flounder that did the usual “escape artist” trick right at the net. Dang flounders! Now it’s going on 1 o’clock and I’m hot and getting tired so I head back to camp, had some lunch, opened the door to the tent and took a long 3 hour nap. lol
And... that was it.
Had another enjoyable night by the fire, woke up Friday morning and the winds were even worse than the day before. At that time I decided my couch and cool AC would be pretty good, so I packed up and headed home. Back on my couch by about 10 am! Overall it was a nice time away from home and work, and did manage to catch a couple.
Oh, and to top off my little vacation, I spent Sunday with my daughter and son and she grilled some chicken and sausage for me on fathers day!!!
Attachments
20170614_181947.jpg
20170614_173550.jpg
20170614_173529.jpg
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Fishing / Camping 6/14 thru 6/16 Surfside, Tx

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Powerful good stuff there. I need to do a coastal camping trip one of these days. Inspirational!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Cuervo Jones wrote:Powerful good stuff there. I need to do a coastal camping trip one of these days. Inspirational!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You really should! But I think after last week, staying for more than one night is not going to happen again until fall. I am realizing at my age (52) that staying out in that mid-day sun is brutal. Unless you have a little pub or somewhere to pass the time there is nothing to do and it's just to darn hot. But head on down in the afternoon to fish til dark, wake up and fish the morning til about 11 or 12 is good.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Glad to see you found some fish! Flounder and trout go well any way you shake it. BTW... when ya going to give me a shout out to hit the water with ya, Tommy? I've got camping gear. lol
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Yakety_Yak wrote:Glad to see you found some fish! Flounder and trout go well any way you shake it. BTW... when ya going to give me a shout out to hit the water with ya, Tommy? I've got camping gear. lol
Hey Blake! You know, I didn't even think about calling because it was during the work week. I just figured everybody would be working. There are times when I do enjoy my time on the water alone though. hehe
I am a lot like Cuervo has said in his posts, I try to avoid human contact like the plague!
But it's good to get together, we need to soon!
Luber

Post by Luber »

I fish Christmas and Drum Bay sometimes and have always considered camping out on that beach across the street after fishing all day. But I usually just chicken out and end up making the long drive back into Houston. This post has inspired me to maybe try camping on that beach sometime. Just hope I don't get stuck in the sand. I drive a Ford F150 2wd and am always cautious about driving on the beach.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Luber wrote:I fish Christmas and Drum Bay sometimes and have always considered camping out on that beach across the street after fishing all day. But I usually just chicken out and end up making the long drive back into Houston. This post has inspired me to maybe try camping on that beach sometime. Just hope I don't get stuck in the sand. I drive a Ford F150 2wd and am always cautious about driving on the beach.
I drive it with my Silverado 1500 in the pic. 2 wheel (or 1???) drive.
I am usually between BA# 3 & #5 on the beach somewhere when I do camp. It's super easy, free and don't worry at all.
Just watch out for the loose spots up close to the dunes. Always set up camp between the dunes and where people drive. As close to the dunes as possible. (some sections people drive through up there though so just check it out and camp where you can.) I have been caught with a high tide lapping on my tires at 5 am before when I parked closer to the water. Luckily I put my chair and cooler in my truck when I went to sleep and slept in the back seat with the door open. The splashing water on the tires woke me up before to much sand got sucked out from under my tires! lol
Luber

Post by Luber »

Cityfisher wrote:
Luber wrote:I fish Christmas and Drum Bay sometimes and have always considered camping out on that beach across the street after fishing all day. But I usually just chicken out and end up making the long drive back into Houston. This post has inspired me to maybe try camping on that beach sometime. Just hope I don't get stuck in the sand. I drive a Ford F150 2wd and am always cautious about driving on the beach.
I drive it with my Silverado 1500 in the pic. 2 wheel (or 1???) drive.
I am usually between BA# 3 & #5 on the beach somewhere when I do camp. It's super easy, free and don't worry at all.
Just watch out for the loose spots up close to the dunes. Always set up camp between the dunes and where people drive. As close to the dunes as possible. (some sections people drive through up there though so just check it out and camp where you can.) I have been caught with a high tide lapping on my tires at 5 am before when I parked closer to the water. Luckily I put my chair and cooler in my truck when I went to sleep and slept in the back seat with the door open. The splashing water on the tires woke me up before to much sand got sucked out from under my tires! lol
Okay cool!! Thanks for the advice Cityfisher
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Sounds like a darned good get-a-way. We all wish we could have been there to keep you company! :lol: (kidding of course)
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Drifting Yak wrote:Sounds like a darned good get-a-way. We all wish we could have been there to keep you company! :lol: (kidding of course)
Haha! That's funny.
Seriously, If anyone sees my truck parked anywhere down there stop and say hi! Or even have a beer with me, I'd love it!
Just look for that dark blue truck with a TKF sticker and the lime green feelfree logo sticker under it. :)
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

Glad you got some camping in. I try to camp on the beach at least twice a year. Usually a PINS trip and one on mustang island when the place is rented. My kids say I take too much stuff but I'm at the age where some comforts need to follow me. An awning with wrap around netting and a blow up bed are the two primary ones. It would be neat to plan a group camp out/fishing trip sometime.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

jnd1959 wrote:... It would be neat to plan a group camp out/fishing trip sometime.
Thats would be fun!

And me also, I don'bring my tent without my air mattress to sleep on! I stopped sleeping in the truck a couple years ago. lol
And this last trip got me thinking about some kind of awning I need to invest in. You gotta have some kinda shade down there or its just down right miserable.
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

I put the awning in front of the tent and drape the mosquito netting over the tent so you have a giant vestibule. Keeps mosquitoes out and sand down. Next I'm looking for some kind of floor to keep the sand from tracking in the tent. If I go any further than that I should probably just buy a trailer.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Nice report! I see more tent campers on the beach these days. I can't remember the last time I did an overnight in a tent. It was always fun to search for the right spot to pitch the tent. Fall ought to be prime for camping and fishing out there.
The Angler

Post by The Angler »

Thanks for posting. I'm hoping to do a little more camping this year myself; your post just gets me more excited to get out there.
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

I really want one of those Feel Free kayaks. The wife gives me a real dirty look when I mention buying a fifth yak though. Maybe I can get one that is close to the same color as one of the others and she won't notice.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

rattlesnake68 wrote:I really want one of those Feel Free kayaks. The wife gives me a real dirty look when I mention buying a fifth yak though. Maybe I can get one that is close to the same color as one of the others and she won't notice.
I love this kayak. I haven't paddled to many other yaks to compare it to really, but that lure is a dream to fish out of. Comfortable, roomy, stable. Adjustable seat. You can stand so easily and pole around if you wanted to. I paddle standing up even in chop. And if you want a peddle driven boat, Feelfree is supposed to come out with a peddle/motor drive that drops in where the sonar pod is.

Plus, I think its a purty boat!
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

It is a perty boat with a lot of good reviews. I'll have to wait a bit before I add one to my fleet since I picked up a Hobie Tandem Island. Strange enough, the wife thought I could have spent the money on something else. That's just crazy talk. :lol: