Goose Island State Park, picture added.

Tombo

Goose Island State Park, picture added.

Post by Tombo »

Last week fished GISP on Wednesday and Sunday. With the calm waters came cleaner water and lots of trout action along with lots of bait fish. Action was steady on the top water fishing guts with trout in the 18-20" range until about 0930 and started to taper off.
Sunday conditions were different with steady winds from previous days. No action in the guts on topwater lures and very few bait fish.
Decided to move to other side to Black Jack peninsula still throwing topwater lures.
About mid morning had a huge blowup and landed about a 32" Redfish, the only action all morning.
Lure was a Spook Jr/chartreuse.
Attachments
6-11-17.jpg
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Re: Goose Island State Park

Post by hipshot »

The specks were really vicious. I had an 18" speck jump up and bite my forearm with my fly stuck in his face as I reached for the leader to land him. Drew blood in four places......... We caught more specks and fewer reds than I am accustomed to this time of the year. Several spots that are occasionally good producers on specks with a strong dropping tide were producing decent specks on incoming tides, every day. Sunday the water was so muddy it was tough, and the water movement was not as strong as it had been the previous days. Did not catch a single flounder this trip (I rarely target them but frequently catch them there and at Matagorda).

Wednesday, and to a lesser degree Thursday (Thursday there were a lot of specks at the boat cut by Blackjack Point), were above average days at GISP for this time of the year. The best catches were in the clearest waters we could find; the incoming tides brought the clearest waters. Sunday definitely had the worst water conditions of the trip, and Tom's big red was an unexpected bonus. Not the first time I've seen him snatch victory from poor conditions.
PenMakerWillie

Post by PenMakerWillie »

Thanks for the report guys.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

Thanks for the report. I haven't fished Goose Island in about two years. Maybe this fall...

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk
yakbnimble

Re: Goose Island State Park, picture added.

Post by yakbnimble »

My friend & I went down to Goose Island SP Friday 23 June - Sunday 26 June. I put the yak in Friday night, but it was too windy. We put in Sat at the east end of the bay-front campsites & headed east along the salt marsh - not much luck. We caught a few cats. We headed back to the area between the east breakwater & the salt grass. The wind died down in the afternoon & there was a lot of bait fish action. My friend got an 18" red & later in the evening got a 15" spec & another 18" red. I had a small red, ... disappointing. Glad the effects of Cindy were going away. A storm blew in about 4PM but missed the park & went into Rockport. We fished early Sunday, headed west toward St. Charles. I got a small red, that was all we got. Storms blew in again about 9 AM & we got caught in one. Luckily the water was pretty flat. This was only my 2nd time kayak fishing inshore. I love it, but I need to figure out what I was doing wrong. I was using a popper with live shrimp.
bullred36

Re: Goose Island State Park, picture added.

Post by bullred36 »

Thanks for the fishing report. My wife and I are planning a trip to GISP next week for our 20th wedding anniversary. We are coming from South Texas and I have always wanted to fish the marshes. I'm definitely not asking for anyone's honey hole but do you have any tips where I can fish the marshes near GISP?