Skyline drive west side of Moses lake flood gate

adamcocke

Skyline drive west side of Moses lake flood gate

Post by adamcocke »

Hello anglers,

I have been doing some wade fishing all over skyline drive from mosquito island to the floodgate. But I am curious to go to the west side of the flood gate. Is that road accessible? I see that hwy146 has a road that goes all the way down towards shell island and millers point, it's not labeled but some maps call it skyline. Thanks for the help!
seaaggie_99

Re: Skyline drive west side of Moses lake flood gate

Post by seaaggie_99 »

No; the entrance to that side from 146 has a locked gate across it. I've wondered for some time who controls that area...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
adamcocke

Post by adamcocke »

Man that's a bummer, looks like a good area to wade. Thanks for the post
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Launch from the flood gate on the bay side but slightly away from the flood gate so you don't get caught in any of the current and head on over to the west side where you are talking about. That way you can fish that and see if it's what you were thinking of or not.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I have fished the shoreline you are talking about and have caught some nice trout there and some flounder. Never once caught any reds. As stated previously, there is no road access. Also, launching in the lake and paddling through the gate is dangerous except during a slack tide; I recommend against it. Launching on the bay side, means hauling your kayak over a good stretch or rip-rap (rocks).

If you have a kayak and are interested in fishing there, put in at the Topwater in San Leon. It is about a mile to the nearest point on that shoreline, but along the way there are 3-4 reefs that I highly recommend you stop and fish (they are on the maps for Dickinson Bay). This time of year especially, the reefs will be better/deeper structure for trout than the guts that run along that shoreline.
kbrown1367

Post by kbrown1367 »

The base of Dickinson Bayou Bridge is also a good access point for this area in a Kayak. North side of the bridge on Hwy 146.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk