LHL/South Bay Report

Ma4011392

LHL/South Bay Report

Post by Ma4011392 »

Headed out to LHL on Monday for some much needed fishing time. Started in the AM throwing topwaters with only rat reds and small trout fishing the drains on a outgoing tide. I went in to LHL and found a school of drum next to a larger oyster outcroping and brought a sack of dead shrimp and followed the school around for a while with no takers. I told myself one last cast with the dead shrimp and scratched of my first red he went right at 21 and due to being low on fish I kept him. I paddle farther back into the lakes still looking for any sign of life got to secret lake and it seem devoid of bait. I notice on the horzion a group of birds working a larger lake on the other side of the magroves.
So I hoofed it over there and made it as they where dispersing and managed to scratch off one more red on a gold spoon. I hoped out and waded a couple productive points where I have caught fish before and nada again really devoid of bait. I proceeded out into South Bay and drifted back to the channel. This is where it got interesting. I tied on a weedless rigged jerk shad with a spinner bait type thing i just picked up at Roys just to give it a shot. I had multiple hook ups i just couldnt seem to land any fish. I was getting a little frustrated and was about to switch back to a spoon. When I had a smoking run I didnt even feel him hit it the line just started peeling off my little 1000 spinner setup. It ended up being a tournament red going 27 3/4 inches I measured him a couple times makeing sure he wasnt over and threw him in the cooler. I got off the water around 2:00 o'clock. I had to work for them today. All the fish I caught where around active bait, the farther I got back into LHL the less bait I saw the bait seemed to be concentrated in the front lakes and in South Bay all in all it was a much needed day of fishing.
Attachments
IMG_2788.jpg
broncofan_27

Re: LHL/South Bay Report

Post by broncofan_27 »

Great read

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk