You know it's a good night when....

Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

You know it's a good night when....

Post by Drifting Yak »

....you catch several slot reds AND then you land a spec that's as big as your reds! :D
May 26th and 27th lights
May 26th and 27th lights
This is a little late but YakRunabout and I hit some lights in West Bay on May 26th & 27th. We had a fun night catching our share of specs and reds (why is it that so many of the reds are 19.99999 inches?) and also kept a few slots. Overall a very good night. The spec in the pic was just over 20 inches but she was as fat as any of the reds that were landed that night.

Here's a little more information.
Hit the water around 8 PM on the 26th - Off by 3 AM on the 27th
Wind = Blowing 15 to 20 MPH from the SSE - pretty steady all night
Water temp = 81 degrees
Water Clarity = Cloudy to Clear with 1 to 2 feet of visibility
Tide = Pretty good movement on a dropping tide thru 3 AM
Bait of choice - Gulp Swimming in Chart., Black & White - Some were caught on tandem rigs but most were caught on singles
Specs were more prevalent although most were at or below the lower slot limit - 8 to 10 caught ranging from 13 to 20 inches.
The reds were 15-22 inches - Half a dozen or so reds landed
No Flounder - tried specifically for them but nada
We tried several plastics throughout the night (including Lil Johns) but Gulp was the ticket. And on this night, the fish seemed to wanted it rolled slowly at or near the bottom.
See ya!
YakRunabout

Re: You know it's a good night when....

Post by YakRunabout »

That was an active night for you. You have been trying to find the bigger trout lately and had a good start with this one! Congrats . . .

I had a slower night, lots of bumps, but few hookups - it was like they were mad at what I was throwing instead of munching down. That is until later when I had a BAM! of a hit and a hard run with a 22" red that tried to follow the current into the adjacent docks. But it came into my boat instead!
crusher

Post by crusher »

Thats a well fed speck. Nice catch indeed.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Awesome report! Well done on catching some nice specimens. A good report late is better than a bad report sooner! :lol:
That's exactly how they were biting for me the other night when I was out by Tiki. They wanted it to drop and hit it on the first drop on the way down to the bottom or they wanted it "slow-rolled" across the bottom. That is where I found the flounder for me in thelights. I was using the float rig I made. Saw 2 other yakers but didn't stop to say hi. Wondered if they were on here.
Good on ya again and great report. Love understanding where and why the fish were biting.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Thanks fellas! We weren't at Tiki but, if we were, it would have been great to make introductions. I'll usually say hi if another kayaker is within a reasonable "talking" distance (voices carry so can't be too loud when you're around the houses). Anyhow if you're ever out and see two papaya colored PA's come on over! Mine is a 14' and Ken's is a 12'.
Tight lines everyone....
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Way to go, Gents. Dandydon and I have been drydocked due to my work schedule, but we will get out there soon - most likely at night and an early morning topwater session.
lahai1dj

Post by lahai1dj »

Nice trout! I love the surprise when you think you're fighting a red and then it surfaces.
Attachments
ackbar.JPG
ackbar.JPG (42.79 KiB) Viewed 3082 times
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Good Report