Sabine North Levee Reds

TimmyT140

Sabine North Levee Reds

Post by TimmyT140 »

Been a long while since I caught anything in my usual spot, but I decided to go see if anything was in there yet this year, had some luck finally. 3 hours on the water, 3 slots on the stringer. All caught on dead scrimps.

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Sabine North Levee Reds

Post by kickingback »

Very nice reds Sir! Well done! Where did you launch? I have been trying to find the shortest launch to the north and East side of Sabine. Thanks for sharing!
TimmyT140

Post by TimmyT140 »

I launch on the grassy knoll. :mrgreen:

Not fishing in Sabine Lake, itself.

I can't divulge any more info than that publicly. :shock:

If you want to fish in Sabine Lake you can drive all the way out North Levee past the pond on the left and there is an old, out of use boat launch that makes for a nice spot where you don't have to fight the rocks.
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

Very nice. I do not believe I have caught a red under 29" there.
TimmyT140

Post by TimmyT140 »

IME, in that spot, when they start schooling up and you see the birds working them, most of those will be too big to keep. You might get lucky and catch a slot trailing the pack.
I think these ones were solos working the grass on the far side. I didn't see any schools or birds working.
bing

Post by bing »

glad they are back.
that water looks good .. cant wait to see the birds work them again
TimmyT140

Post by TimmyT140 »

I've seen some birds working in the big lake the last couple times I've gone down there. Yesterday, there was a guy in a boat fishing them, but he didn't stick around long, don't know why.
TimmyT140

Post by TimmyT140 »

kickingback wrote:Very nice reds Sir! Well done! Where did you launch? I have been trying to find the shortest launch to the north and East side of Sabine. Thanks for sharing!
I spaced out on which side you wanted to fish. North and East side of Sabine, the only place in Texas I know to launch is Old Ferry Road on the way to Bailey's Fish Camp. Don't know anything about the Louisiana side.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Yeah, I was wondering why you posted what you did. I was just curious to fish Sabine in genera up N and NE. The North levee is cool but I want to get into the grass up north with the winds blowing the bait right up into it.
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

My first shot/catch of tailing reds and then a crawler came from the grass on the far side. I was definitely hooked on sight fishing after that morning. Several times I have seen the big reds busting horse mullet in there.

One day a red came toward my kayak at an angle and bumped into the side of my kayak. Much too shallow for it to go under. Cool place, just too bad it is so Off/On.
TimmyT140

Post by TimmyT140 »

I was fishing out there a couple years back and a school of reds started passing by, and I swear they kept passing by me for at least twenty minutes.