BTB... Somewhat @ Surfside

slayer10

BTB... Somewhat @ Surfside

Post by slayer10 »

So I headed out to Surfside Sat. morning. The conditions were perfect! Single digit Northward wind with glass top water. I started by trolling out to the end of the Jetties in search of some Jacks to put up a good fight (I was still excited from the Canelo fight the night before I guess). I trolled a 1oz chrome rat-l-trap and a gold spoon in 25-30' deep water hoping to trigger a strike. After an hour and a half and no takers, I decided to hang it up and head back to shallow water to do some pop-n-cork with live shrimp. I was in about 12' deep water for about 20 minutes when a Jack started to smoke my Abu Garcia Ambassadeur! Talk about fun... this is why I love kayak fishing!

I've always heard that Jack Crevalle wasn't good table fare but I decided to give it a shot. I'm no culinary chef by any means but let me just say that if prepared properly by bleeding and shaving the red muscle off, and also marinating well, it's actually very delicious! Sort of resembles beef in a way. Couldn't of been happier with the results... Take care out there guys and as always tight lines 8)

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: BTB... Somewhat @ Surfside

Post by karstopo »

Well, I'll be. You aren't trying to pull a fast one about Jetty tuna being tasty are you?

Nice fish and report.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Congrats on the Jack Crevalle. And wow - am amazed at how you've packed everything onto your yak - nice! :clap:
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Very nice fish! Well done and thanks for sharing. Glad you caught a good looking meal.
b0okevin

Post by b0okevin »

Nice report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Papa33

Post by Papa33 »

Where there not any birds crashing bait? I wanted to go Saturday but couldn't but I did go out Sunday to much rougher conditions. I did manage to catch a pretty nice jack under birds. But that was right at sun up. Water got pretty rough after that
TimmyT140

Post by TimmyT140 »

I fished in Bessie Heights on Saturday under a very light north wind and it was totally dead. I never catch fish when the wind is from the north.
slayer10

Post by slayer10 »

karstopo wrote:Well, I'll be. You aren't trying to pull a fast one about Jetty tuna being tasty are you?

Nice fish and report.
Lol no never... I used a good marinate and grilled the fish is why it came out good.

slayer10

Post by slayer10 »

Papa33 wrote:Where there not any birds crashing bait? I wanted to go Saturday but couldn't but I did go out Sunday to much rougher conditions. I did manage to catch a pretty nice jack under birds. But that was right at sun up. Water got pretty rough after that
Saturday was very calm and there were bait crashing early on but I had a late start unfortunately... still made out okImage

slayer10

Post by slayer10 »

TimmyT140 wrote:I fished in Bessie Heights on Saturday under a very light north wind and it was totally dead. I never catch fish when the wind is from the north.
Oops sorry it was a South wind that afternoon... I have never fished Bessie Heights. Is that by Sabine Pass?

TigerLandSportsman

Post by TigerLandSportsman »

staflo84 wrote:
TimmyT140 wrote:I fished in Bessie Heights on Saturday under a very light north wind and it was totally dead. I never catch fish when the wind is from the north.
Oops sorry it was a South wind that afternoon... I have never fished Bessie Heights. Is that by Sabine Pass?

In between Bridge City and Port Arthur