Low Wind Window: West Bay

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Low Wind Window: West Bay

Post by Dandydon »

Shoffer & I waited 2 weeks for today's low winds (about NW 5), so we launched into West Bay last night to fish canal lights. Didn't see much bait until our third canal, where our Outback wakes started spooking shad & small mullet.
The solunar feed time began about 4:15am, & we each landed a slot redfish over separate canal lights when the breakfast bell rang. Shoffer landed a couple of small specks, but that's all she wrote until sunrise.
From sun-up until 8am we trolled & casted our 4-inch white paddletail lures, keying on a couple of small slicks & nearby nervous baitfish. Thankfully the specks showed up & we caught 4 each. After that, the Saturday morning powerboat parade ended our action & back early to launch.
We were pleased with the results but felt some stronger tide movement would have helped.
I did my best with a new rudder cable about 3 inches too short to pin to my right hull tray. Sorry to say our beloved ACK guys blew that repair assignment. It was a pain to hold the cable tight with my right hand while doing the
IMG_3913.JPG
IMG_3916.JPG
rudder with my left hand. Obviously cost me a trout limit (ha ha). Like Arnold in "The Terminator," I'll be back to ACK.
And finally, beware of I-45 S. this weekend because it's CLOSED from FM 518 & about 15 miles south for concrete barricade work. We returned by way of US 288. Piece of cake.
Tight lines to all from the Fishing Attorneys.
--Dandydon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Low Wind Window: West Bay

Post by kickingback »

Good for you guys! Well done. My kind of night fishing for sure! What do you think made the bait be in the third channel and not the first couple? Wind pushing the water into that channel better? Closer to a grass shoreline? Just curious.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks, KickingBack. I was too preoccupied w/ my broken rudder cable to analyze your question. Maybe my junior captain Shoffer could answer. He knows night fishing like Batman knows night justice.
Hope he reads this when he awakens from his Man-Nap. Peace out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Nice report, thanks, and congrats on the fish. Sounds like an active morning, at times.
osojet

Post by osojet »

Nice job taking advantage of conditions! The low winds for me out too!
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

It was a chamber of commerce day out there in the morning. It was a little chillier than I expected, but we managed. The water temps ranged from 68 to 72 degrees during the day.

In my view, the bait was stacked up in the third channel because first channels we fished were pretty strong with traffic - both power boat and kayak.

Before the launch, we talked to some yakkers coming in around 2 am. One had a good flounder, and one guy said he caught two barely legal specks in the lights but otherwise, it was slow. I did not put much stock in those reports, as I am pretty confident about my abilities - especially at night - and I told DandyDon that we would do better.

We fished two surface lights that face into the bay. One had nothing (which was consistent with my experience at that same light about four weeks ago), and I landed three small specks at the other, with several bites, in about 15 minutes. The water was covered with floating grass, which made it difficult to navigate even a lure on a jighead without fouling the hook or line with grass. Since it was so still, those night fish can be easily spooked, so a stealthier approach is required. The floating grass inhibited that. However, as we hit the third channel, we began catching real fish at 4:15 am when the minor feed began - a slot red, followed by three 16 to 18 inch trout. In the morning, I landed a 15 inch and 19 inch trout, but threw the 15 inch back since I had already had enough for a family meal.

Once first light hit, and we made our way to the bay, I decided to spend a little time napping, since I had been getting little sleep in the last three days. Since I had some fish in the bag already, and the conditions were beautiful, I thought I would catch some shuteye . I caught a 45 minute catnap and was back at it at 7:30 am. Don had been hard at it since first light, as he was working over the morning schools when I joined him. Putting his decades of fishing experience to good use, he evened up the talley with some quality fish as I snoozed.

The fish I caught during this trip were caught on a 1/4 oz yellow jighead containing a glo/chartreuse or a Key Lime Down South 4 inch paddle tails, tipped with a Shrimp Flavored Fishbites, worked steady through the water column, at a depth of 2-3 feet.
key lime.JPG
key lime.JPG (14.54 KiB) Viewed 3663 times
The red I caught on the same lure, but my experience with reds and canal lights is that one must work the lure slowly near the bottom, as that is usually where they can be found. That is what happened on this night.

My night fish were caught in lights where there were actively feeding fish, but I intentionally focus on the darkness just outside the light, as experience has shown that this is where the bigger trout can be found.

The two fish I caught that the morning were in 4-5 feet of water with about 12-18 inches of visability; the throwback 15 hooked on the troll and the 19 inch bonus fish hooked while casting to nervous water.

Stay tuned for amazing video from a recent trip to Florida where, between two boats, we jumped 27 tarpon, and landed 12, in a 4 hour period. It will not be a kayak report, but who in their right mind does not love video of huge tarpon jumps 20 yards from the boat, while bull sharks tear apart two of them right in front of us?
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Thanks for the detailed write-up gents - and congrats on the catches! :clap:
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Great report with perfect details! Thanks! I was just curious as to how and why bait is in one area and not another. I am always reading, watching, asking, and contemplating new ways to find the bait which leads to the big fish. Makes sense of the heavy boat traffic scaring the bait off. I like fishing lights that have a good deep channel or grass marsh/shore close by that the predator fish can easily access. Of course my number one "night light" place to look for bait is areas where the wind pushes it. I have found these areas to be the best with lights.
People sometimes knock "light fishing" but many fail to realize that the lights are just like structure on the bottom or a grass shoreline with an ebb tide. It's all about having bait available or a place where fish can ambush bait. The lights are not natural but make it easier for bait fish to find plankton to feed on which draws in the fish food chain.
Besides, the awesome ease of finding fish by finding lights is like going out in the daylight and finding birds feeding. You see the spot where the fish are/maybe are and you move in and cast. Same as a light. And the biggest plus is that you don't have all the boat traffic scaring fish away or crowding you. Those people that knock light fishing are the same people I knock for fishing the birds in the daylight. It's the same principle, find the bait, find the fish.
Love it!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Kickingback, my IQ is only 162 (Mensa member Princeton grad) but you & young Shoffer are smarter than I on night fishing. Your many fishing suggestions all ring true & shall henceforth be in my bag of tricks! :D
Please consider a night trip with us as the nighttime continues to get better & better. As the daytime highs cozy up to 100-degrees, Capt. Shoffer & I fish fewer & fewer hours of the blistering days. We become CREATURES OF THE NIGHT. We theorize that the night-fishing improves as the temperature differential between the hot sun-ridden bay vs. the cooler canal-water increases! Where would the sweltering gamefish rather be :wink: ?
Shoffer kids about owning infra-red night-view military goggles, but I swear he can see nervous bait or speckled splashes from 200 yards in the dark. Creepy! He's BATMAN!
Few TKFers get invited to join the Fishing Attorneys. Consider yourself invited... :clap:
Tight lines to all from the flashing, dashing Fishing Attorneys, LLP, Saltwater Division.
--Dandydon
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Thank you Sir for the invite! I will have to join you guys sometime. I know what you mean about the cooler canals! I love that "cool air" feeling going into the canals. Right now in the morning at least it's still chilly or cool. In a month or two the night will be all I can stand! LOL
PM or post when you're headed out again and I will see if I can plan a trip with you. My son uses my car right now for work 5 days a week and I get the car for two days during the week (Weds and Thurs) and early morning runs from 2-3 am on until noon for the morning sunrise bite. I get the car home in time for him to go to work. :)
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

I'll confer with my buddy Shoffer & we'll get back to you, KickingBack.
Shoffer seems OK with inviting other "worthy" members who will be fun to fish with & productive additions to our Fishing Attorneys night trips.
Never forget: "The nighttime is the right time."