A cool morning, light breeze!

YakRunabout

A cool morning, light breeze!

Post by YakRunabout »

Launched early this morning to go into a bayou/marsh system during an outgoing tide. The morning was forecast to be cool and it was, 56 degrees at launch. The water was upper 60’s. Winds were light, which was a key reason for my going today, with higher winds forecast later in the week.

I did not go far into the marsh since the water level was quite low, a bit lower than I expected – due to the winds? The flow of the outgoing tide was lower than I hoped as well, perhaps due to the lower overall water level?
Bait was quite active in the marsh and the bayou, but the fish weren’t cooperating too much for the lure on my line.
There was a lot of bird activity. They did their normal mass-awakening at dawn with birds filling the skies, but one addition this day was that Terns were quite active. They were diving for bait during most of the morning.
The morning gave me a couple trout about 15” and a couple of undersized flounder. I then decided to move on to some other marsh drains to see if the flow would improve during my trip there. There was not much current on the way along the bayou but at one point I noted a slight change in the flow pattern on the surface of the water. There was a bit more of a choppy surface as well as calm waters. So I cast there to see if perhaps the fish also liked the change. I had a hookup for a couple of seconds before the fish came off. So I turned to work the area a bit more. I cast again up the current and had a bump. Then again and a solid hookup. I was expecting more trout or flounder, but this one took off straight up the bayou, pulling line off the reel! I thought – red – yee haw. He raced around, back and forth. Finally I got him near the surface and I saw that it was upper slot or more! I got him close a couple of times, but he would surge off, taking back some line I had just gotten back. Finally into the boat was a 27 ¾” red! This is a new personal best for me!

I was grateful to this guy for coming by for a visit and changing a so-so day into PB outing - and so I released him to be caught another day. He recuperated faster than I thought he would after that workout and zipped off into the murk.

A great day to be out, light winds, sunny skies and cool temps that may not be around again until October!! All fish caught with either a curly tail on a light jig head or a jerk shad on a twist lock weedless. The red liked the jerk shad.

Enjoy your next outing.
Attachments
P4240179_LI.jpg
Littlebear

Re: A cool morning, light breeze!

Post by Littlebear »

Nice!
julioandadrie

Post by julioandadrie »

Great catch im still waiting on a nice size red so far my PB is 21" on a kayak anyways.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Yee Haw is right! Congrats on your PB red there Mr. Ken!