Low water, wind, and tailing reds 4/8

Yak-n TX

Low water, wind, and tailing reds 4/8

Post by Yak-n TX »

Myself and 4 members of South Houston Kayak Fishing Club went out to Christmas bay on Saturday.

The tide was falling out until 9:30 am making for some shallow water conditions. The wind had the water pretty muddy with about 6" of visibility. Water temp stayed around 65-70 but struggled to reach 70.

We went up to Churchill bayou to target whatever was biting. Things started off pretty slow until we saw some birds working up in the marsh ponds. One guy went to check it out and radioed in that there were tailing reds. I headed that way to meet up with him and a few seconds later he landed a nice 26" Red on a white gulp paddle tail.

There were maybe about 5-6 fish tailing and crushing bait against the banks. The pond was loaded with tiny shrimp and they were making the best of it.

I gave it my best try but couldn't get a take from the reds. At this point the tide had pulled most of the water out of the pond as well as the fish.

Shorty after we moved back into the main channel another member hooked into a trout that was just barely under size. Another caught 2 reds just under the limit. The second keeper came when a member hooked into a nice flounder. It was his first flounder so this was really exciting and I'm glad he got on some fish!

Finally, while I was eating lunch, I tossed out a chartreuse gulp swimming mullet and hooked into a small rat red. Nothing to write home about but at least I didn't get skunked. It was a pretty fish and it had 2 spots which is always cool to see.ImageImage

Then we paddled back into a 16 mph headwind which is never fun. Overall it was a slow trip but we all caught something and had a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
julioandadrie

Re: Low water, wind, and tailing reds 4/8

Post by julioandadrie »

Yes sir had a great time! Went home and cooked that flounder family loved it and they cant wait for more they said

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
bushwing

Post by bushwing »

It was a great time, we just need to make sure the FISH RSVP next time. Hahaha
julioandadrie

Post by julioandadrie »

Jajajaj

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Getz-Some55

Post by Getz-Some55 »

Great report gents. I especially appreciate the info on the lures used. I'd like to fish down there some time, it's just a far drive from Spring/North Houston.
htownanddown

Post by htownanddown »

Same issue with the reds tailing but not biting in West Bay on Friday. I saw some similar commentary on some kayak fishing Instagram accounts I follow. Seemed like that phenomena was everywhere.
Yak-n TX

Post by Yak-n TX »

Getz-Some55 wrote:Great report gents. I especially appreciate the info on the lures used. I'd like to fish down there some time, it's just a far drive from Spring/North Houston.
Any time. If you have any questions let me know. Next time you can make it out this way let me know and we can probably fish together.
Yak-n TX

Post by Yak-n TX »

htownanddown wrote:Same issue with the reds tailing but not biting in West Bay on Friday. I saw some similar commentary on some kayak fishing Instagram accounts I follow. Seemed like that phenomena was everywhere.
Interesting. I wonder what caused this. Maybe they were so keyed in on the small shrimp that they didn't want anything bigger.

I wish I had my fly rod with me!