East Bay Bayou Produces - 4/7/17

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

East Bay Bayou Produces - 4/7/17

Post by shoffer »

On Friday, April 7, 2017, Dandydon and I decided to take advantage of the respite from the constant wind, and open this beautiful weather window given to all of us in the Plastic Navy. Although reeling from the disappointment we felt when SaltyKat failed to make his promised March visit from the frozen northern lands, we were determined to catch some fish in honor of friends past, present and future.

We launched at the Rollover Ramp into East Bay in the pre-dawn hours. I was content to just be back on the water after work and family obligations conspired to render me absent for weeks. It was 59 degrees, with a light wind from the East. Water temperature was 70 degrees. The weather forecast called for single digit winds from the south, no clouds and plenty of sun, with a high of 72, and that is just what we got:
IMG_2887.JPG
We fished from 6:00 am until 11:30 am. We first threw topwaters around the small islands to the north of the launch, with nothing to show for it. As the sun rose, we then slowly trolled west, up the south shoreline. No bites.

We then made it to the mouth of one of my favorite bayou channels, as the good outgoing tide was beginning, coupled with a major solunar feed from 9:15 am to 12:15 pm. Not surprisingly, this is when we got bit. Four trout from 17 to 18 inches came to hand just as the tide began to move around 8:45 am, plucked from a deep hole in the bayou where the water was swirling - chock full of bait from the marsh, I suspect:
Capture4.JPG
Lures that worked were a chartreuse Down South 4 inch paddle tail on a ¼ oz. jighead, tipped with shrimp flavored Fishbites™, and a 5 inch paddle tail in the red-flake/glo color (called Cock of the Walk, I think).

After that, I explored an offshoot in the marsh and site-casted to a feeding redfish which came up just a tad short. Here is an action shot, just before my GoPro battery died and shut the camera down:
Capture3.JPG
In the marsh, we also saw two or three clearly slot reds breaching the water’s surface, but sadly, those snot nose hooligans wanted nothing to do with us.

Strangely, the peak of the solunar provided us with no bites. The wind was now down to 1-3 mph, so we decided to head back into the open bay to hunt for slicks. As we emerged from the mouth of the bayou, Don snapped a rudder cable on his Hobie Outback, and we decided to end the trip early. So we made the two mile trek back east, trolling lures and Don using his paddle as a rudder, arriving at the ramp at 11:30 am, just as a trio of our power-boating brethren arrived. While exchanging pleasantries, they confessed to striking out for the day. I turned my face to hide my smirk, as I silently laughed at their misfortune. As we loaded up the boats and made plans to visit ACK to repair Don’s craft for our next fishing adventure, I felt slightly ashamed at having taken pleasure from the defeat that our fellow anglers suffered at the hands of the feeshies (as Cuervo Jones might say). Perhaps the feeshies were angered by those who power their craft -- not from their own human strength, but from the remains of dead dinosaurs. I pondered that thought as I washed my equipment, while still struggling to fight the shame I felt for laughing at their downfall. But later that night, as my son and I savored the first bite of a succulent trout filet perfectly prepared using Emeril's la mueniere recipe (http://emerils.com/127112/trout-la-meuniere), the shame quickly left me. Onward, men!
Last edited by shoffer on Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: East Bay Bayou Produces - 4/7/17

Post by Dandydon »

Shoffer just filed a report so detailed & flowery it made me cry, & I was there!
As always we had a blast even in the face of irritating mechanical break-downs. I'm a Grumpy 65-yr-old & get mad having to end a Rollover trip pedaling 2 miles (into headwinds) having to drag my Swift paddle as a rudder.
Shoffer forgot to mention that two trips ago my rudder AGAIN broke down (no steerage!), but he quickly fixed it w/ his extra Hobie rudder pin! Last, but not least, he caught all the fish on this trip!
I've taught him well over the past 5 years. Used to always out-fish him; now I never do. Plus he hasn't been skunked in over 20 trips!
Hate to say it, but old Saltykat & I pass the torch to Capt. Shoffer.
Onward, indeed!
--Dandydon
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Nice report - sounds like you guys had an enjoyable, if abbreviated, outing. Congrats on getting out and finding some fish.
12pdtest

Post by 12pdtest »

You obviously aced Both semesters of English composition and have a flair for keeping the suspense to the very end. Thank you very much for an educated & entertaining report.

12 Pound Test
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

12pdtest wrote:You obviously aced Both semesters of English composition and have a flair for keeping the suspense to the very end. Thank you very much for an educated & entertaining report.

12 Pound Test
Thanks, 12 lb test! We're both successful lawyers who fish under our phony law-firm name: FISHING ATTORNEYS LLP. We've both done considerable free legal work for old TKFers on this website (until it got out of hand)!
I made $ millions & retired 27 years ago after doing 18 intl oil deals over $1 billion each. Have fished w/ all the best local guides; in 2003 I caught 8 specks 7-9.75 lbs in 1 hour wadefishing a Skitterwalk (a secret Sabine Lake cove)! TKF member Shane Meche was w/ me & had a stringer almost as big. All my fish released. I think I filed a TKF fishong report, but hate to brag.
With all that, my greatest pleasure is fishing w/ Capt. Shoffer. Glad we're not gay.
Onward, men!
--Capt. Don, Esq. Image
2 Black Belts, Kung Fu
Pro disc golfer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

DandyDon - I did not know that the sun was so intense on Friday. Drink plenty of fluids, get plenty of rest and you should be fine. Or at least back to normal.

Or maybe this is normal? If that's the case - well then nevermind - and good luck.
And do not go kayaking alone.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Thanks 12 pound test. Inasmuch as words are the tools of my trade (much like a socket wrench is to a car mechanic, or a nail gun is to a construction framer), sometimes I like to spend a little time on my reports.

And, for those of you who have not done it, fishing with DandyDon can be a hoot, as long as you don't piss him off. If you don't believe me, there is a guy whose last name rhymes with Lisbon that can attest.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Yakrunabout - you and I have fished before, and I like you. As you also know, I fish with Don mostly as well. He is to me what "DriftingYak" is to you.

As you can tell from his prose, he can be most entertaining. I would like you guys to fish with us one day. I think you will enjoy it.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

shoffer wrote:Yakrunabout - you and I have fished before, and I like you. As you also know, I fish with Don mostly as well. He is to me what "DriftingYak" is to you.

As you can tell from his prose, he can be most entertaining. I would like you guys to fish with us one day. I think you will enjoy it.

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Sun was not too intense, ha ha. I may be 65, but I kick ass & take names! Been beating up big Kung Fu sparring opponents for 12 years. But sometimes my Hobie Outback suffers because I fish so hard. Capt. Shoffer to the rescue!
Follow my posts & we'll all learn something...
IMG_3548.JPG

Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Nice write up. Looks like a great time so congrats fellas!
redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by redneckyakclub01 »

Dandydon, when they replace your rudder cable, ask for the old one and a couple of copper crimps. That along with a pair of pliers makes an easy repair kit to fix those cables on the water. I started carrying that after having to use my paddle to steer on a multi day trip.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

redneckyakclub01 wrote:Dandydon, when they replace your rudder cable, ask for the old one and a couple of copper crimps. That along with a pair of pliers makes an easy repair kit to fix those cables on the water. I started carrying that after having to use my paddle to steer on a multi day trip.
Thanks for that excellent tip, Redneck! I'll ask my colleague Shoffer if he'll help me with that.
Spring has sprung & Summer is near; Time for fishing & cold, cold
IMG_2381.JPG
beer; Hoist your yaks & hit the bay; Tomorrow's a glorious fishing day!
--Dandydon

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Dandydon wrote:
redneckyakclub01 wrote:Dandydon, when they replace your rudder cable, ask for the old one and a couple of copper crimps. That along with a pair of pliers makes an easy repair kit to fix those cables on the water. I started carrying that after having to use my paddle to steer on a multi day trip.
Thanks for that excellent tip, Redneck! I'll ask my colleague Shoffer if he'll help me with that.
The attachment IMG_2381.JPG is no longer available
--Dandydon

Sorry to add more info outside of Shoffer's Report, but I found my TKF Sabine Lake report detailing 7 specks 7-9.75lbs. caught by me in an hour wadefishing a Skitterwalk w/ TKF's Peeshsnuck (Shane Meche)... Image (& you assumed we lawyers lie... Image).
The report was dated July 6, 2011, but was wrong on the actual fishing date. That was Nov. 2002. I swear that one hour fishing was better than consensual sex w/ Charlie's Angel Cheryl Ladd (!), but that's another story, lads! Please don't provoke me!
Onward, men.
--Dandydon
IMG_0235.JPG

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Dandydon wrote:
Dandydon wrote:
IMG_2381.JPG
--Dandydon

Sorry to add more info outside of Shoffer's Report, but I found my TKF Sabine Lake report detailing 7 specks 7-9.75lbs. caught by me in an hour wadefishing a Skitterwalk w/ TKF's Peeshsnuck (Shane Meche)... Image (& you assumed we lawyers lie... Image).
The report was dated July 6, 2011, but was wrong on the actual fishing date. That was Nov. 2002. I swear that one hour fishing was better than consensual sex w/ Charlie's Angel Cheryl Ladd (!), but that's another story, lads! Please don't provoke me!
Onward, men.
--Dandydon
IMG_0235.JPG

Correction: The Sabine Report was dated July 16, 2010. You can look it up & read it on TKF. But I don't brag. It's all fact.
Blame the Makers Mark No. 46!