Baffin last week

redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Baffin last week

Post by redneckyakclub01 »

I was lucky enough to be able to fish two mornings in Baffin Bay last week. Just the mornings because of other commitments and we were blown off by 1100 or so anyway. I didn't not mind the wind, I usually find ways to work with it. However, the wide openness of the east facing shoreline didn't give too many options once the blow started. The second morning, Thursday, I surfed more than I peddled on the way back in. Here's the report:

Day one: moderate breeze to start from ese. I threw a pink topwater down the length of an east facing bank for about an hour with no bites. Switched to a corky for the same result. Threw a purple/chartreuse paddletail for a bit and caught one trout about 18" with a few more strikes. Peddled east into the wind throwing the paddletail with nothing to show. Drifted back and picked up 8 more trout 14-17" on a new penny gulp under a popping cork. Winds picked up throughout morning. Water was warm and started off clear (for Baffin and ended slightly muddy.

Day 2: water choppy and off colored to start. I threw a black wake bait to start in the time just before sunup and despite the chop it got noticed a few times. One trout about 15 and a few blowups with one looking pretty big. I threw a red and white paddletail for a while before giving in and going back to the gulp and cork. Caught 14 trout, mostly dinks with a few 15s and a 16 all on a lime tiger gulp shrimp which was the darkest color I had. The waves were big enough that I couldn't see my cork half the time which caused a few missed strikes. The loud oval cork was key. The entire time I threw the cork I was also trolling a gulp with no cork. It got one bite and no hookups. Water was all whitecaps and chocolate milk by late morning.

I had a great time despite not catching too many or any of the famed Baffin big girls. That's ok, they'll be there next time.
jnd1959

Re: Baffin last week

Post by jnd1959 »

Thanks for they report. When all else fails, gulp shrimp seems to work. Slow or fast retrieve?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Baffin last week

Post by redneckyakclub01 »

Fished under a oval Cajun thunder cork. I popped pretty aggressively, took up the slack, waited and popped again. Sometimes I let it sit after pops for a bit and quite a few of the strikes came after long pauses. I think the lack of water clarity gave he fish a bit of trouble locating the bait.