Aransas Pass

flydoc

Aransas Pass

Post by flydoc »

Been down here a week from Colo. hittin the flats of B&R and Ransom Bay. Conditions have been iffy to say the least with all the high water,constant wind and lack of sun. I'm mainly a flyguy but been throwing tops with the flyrod loaded for the occasional shot. Weds. hooked a bull and straightened the cheap hooks on the spook- gotta change them out.
Yesterday spotted a herd of reds pushin bait on the shore made the stalk and hooked my PB shallow red on one of GoDoes ugly black flys. Seen most the backing but came to hand 27 1/2"..
Trout seem to be everywhere in the deeper water and eat the deceiver or anything flashy.
If the weather improves a bit the next 2 weeks will be awesome.
BTW I'm using my portabote which gets me on/off the water quickly and still shallow.. Cheers
100_0871 (3).JPG
100_0872 (3).JPG
100_0875 (3).JPG
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Aransas Pass

Post by karstopo »

Nice fish and report! I saw a Portabote at the Houston Fishing Show on Thursday. There was a 10' one set up in the booth. I talked to the rep. and got a card. He said he could put it together in about 5 minutes in his prime, although it might take a Noob 30 minutes to assemble. He recommended the 12' one. He said they are very seaworthy. I think he said he pushes it with a 6hp 4 stroke outboard. Runs about 20mph. Needs about 4-5" of water to run is what I recall he said.

Is it anything that you can paddle or pole while standing or better as get someplace and bail out and fish craft or either or? I like that you don't have to trailer it. It looks super stable. Being so wide, it might be a chore to paddle or push along for long, but that might not be true. I wasn't crazy about the benches/supports, but I guess it has to have them for structurally integrity. Have you fly fished out of it or do you take it someplace to wade.

Anyway, nice report.
flydoc

Post by flydoc »

I have the 12' p-bote . Had the 14 which is nice for 2 people cause it has 4 seats vs. 3 but was a bit long to handle. The 12 works great for me. Folds to 5" and fits between the slides in my rv. Then throw it the back of the truck when I get there. Handles 60# on the transom so a 6hp motor is max. and runs 15-18mph. Takes about 10 min to set-up 2 push pins in each seat and 4 bolts for the transom board. To me it is much more stable vs. an aluminum boat and smoother ride. Had it in 2-3' waves and did'nt feel like I was pushing the limits.

I fly fish alot and stand on the seats to cast and pole. Replaced my original plastic seats with 2x12 for more strength. It will float in 5" and run in 2' depending on the shaft. This is my 2nd pbote and never had a leak. Solid and stable.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Verrrrrrry nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flydoc

Post by flydoc »

Had to wait a while for the blow to pass yesterday but the wind died and the sun popped. Went to Ransom and found a few---6 trout and 4 reds,,, 3 were short. Lots of crazy boaters out who don't have a clue...
Tightlinez
100_0883 (2).JPG
100_0882 (2).JPG
JMS

Post by JMS »

Good post...Some of my favorite areas to fish

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
flydoc

Post by flydoc »

Decided to stay close to home today. There's a small bay not 500' from the launch ramp which everyone blows by. 3 out of 4 times I was in there I caught reds and trout but today it was loaded. Started throwin the spook and had 2 rats and a slot red in quick order. The wind pushed me to the other side which is shallow and spotted a cruiser. With the flyrod loaded let the deceiver fly as the red turned and ate---25 1/2".
Ended the day with 2 trout and 8 reds-- 3 on the fly.. Cheers
StevenM
Location: Fredericksburg and Aransas Pass Texas Wilderness Ride 135

Post by StevenM »

flydoc wrote:Had to wait a while for the blow to pass yesterday but the wind died and the sun popped. Went to Ransom and found a few---6 trout and 4 reds,,, 3 were short. Lots of crazy boaters out who don't have a clue...
Tightlinez100_0883 (2).JPG100_0882 (2).JPG
You got the crazy boaters part right. Be glad when Spring Break is over. We knocked out almost two limits of Reds late yesterday though
flydoc

Post by flydoc »

StevenM wrote:
flydoc wrote:Had to wait a while for the blow to pass yesterday but the wind died and the sun popped. Went to Ransom and found a few---6 trout and 4 reds,,, 3 were short. Lots of crazy boaters out who don't have a clue...
Tightlinez100_0883 (2).JPG100_0882 (2).JPG
You got the crazy boaters part right. Be glad when Spring Break is over. We knocked out almost two limits of Reds late yesterday though
Well done Steven-- Hit B&R today with perfect conditions for site casting the fly. Went 2for9 .. Layed the crab fly perfect 6 times and they would'nt eat---The 2 I got were on a black sculpin..