Thwarted, lackluster fishing day - Kimball Bend Park

ATXflyguy83

Thwarted, lackluster fishing day - Kimball Bend Park

Post by ATXflyguy83 »

I was hoping for an amazing fishing time this weekend near Lake Whitney. I was planning on dropping in at Nolan River Park. My father-in-law said that the park is kind of a rough area (or at least used to be), filled with thieves and druggies. Not wanting to get stabbed by some needle on fishing day (may some other time, but not on fishing day), I decided to go to my backup plan - Plowman Creek Park. I was heading down to Kopperl super excited. I turn in to the main road to the park - road closed. Apparently that park has been closed for 2 years now - per the guy at Kimball Bend Park, where I ended up going. In checking the website, it says it opens up March 31st...so who knows what's actually going on there.

Anyway, I stopped in at Kimball Bend Park, paid the $5 entry fee, and headed to the boat ramp. I had no idea what to expect because I had been scouting out the Nolan and Plowman beforehand looking at all the possible off-shoots to get in. I didn't really have cell service there at the park so I couldn't check the map. I figured I'd just hop in and go.

It was less than favorable conditions. Boat ramp = boats with motors which = waves. It was windy to boot. No fish caught because I just had the fly rod (expecting to fish creeks and the more shallow Nolan). I went to the places near the ramp and across the way there was a little cove area. No luck at either, not even one panfish. I can say, that I do not recommend this area for a kayak launch point, especially for a fly fisherman. The water was crazy deep, even just like 20 feet from the bank. It wasn't a total loss as I did get a chance to test my new accessories for the yak and discovered what I need to do to tweak it.

Lessons learned: Have 2 contingency up plans and always carry a spin casting rod and reel just in case.
tgil

Re: Thwarted, lackluster fishing day - Kimball Bend Park

Post by tgil »

I know this post is really old, but trying to acclimate myself to this forum and learn what I can. That area, on the Brazos, is deep for sure! There used to be a spot you could get to the Nolan, outside of Blum. Been many years since I've been down there, but you could easily drop a yak in there, "back in the day!" I'll be doing more research for next spring, I'm getting back into fishing after focusing most of my time hunting in recent years.