West Matagorda Bay Reds

NoExcuses1

West Matagorda Bay Reds

Post by NoExcuses1 »

Decide to go on a Solo trip to Matagorda Saturday. I wanted to get to where I was going before sunrise, so I ended up leaving College Station at 2:40. After one stop for coffee and snacks, I got to the "parking lot" across from Parker's Cut at 5:50am, packed my kayak and was on the water by 6. Paddled across the river channel, drug the kayak across the land part (was surprised the mosquitos were not bad at all), and was off to the races to get to the South shoreline before the wind picked up. Right at the opening to the bay I noticed some nervous water, and picked up my first red on a bone colored corky. After I got him on the stringer, I continued on to the South shoreline, it's about a mile paddle straight back into the South wind, but once you get there, the rest of the day you're paddling down wind. I paddled along the shoreline looking for reds, and ended up getting the two more for a limit by 8:30. I caught my fourth and fifth red right after the third and then started heading back, fishing along the way. When I made it back to the mouth of Parker's Cut, I caught another red in the exact same place as the first one of the morning, and then decided to end on that and head back to the truck. Ended up with 6 total reds, all 21-25". The last 5 were all caught on a Buggs curl tail jig in the red and gold color. I had my kayak loaded and was on the road by 12. Overall a very successful trip to matagorda. (working on getting the picture posted)
NoExcuses1

Re: West Matagorda Bay Reds

Post by NoExcuses1 »

t-ferg

Post by t-ferg »

Well done!
How were the tides in the area?
Big Tex

Post by Big Tex »

Must have been your truck all by its lonesome when I arrived to paddle out of Rawlings cut. Good report!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Excellent report. Glad you ccaught some nice ones! I have been planning atrip to that area soon. Thanks for sharing!
t.chris

Post by t.chris »

I must have just missed you. I launched about 11AM and was in the same area. I only caught 4 and 3 of them were rat reds, but it was still an excellent day on the water. I was surprised how high the water was as I thought it was low tide in the morning, but that was based on the east matty prediction.
NoExcuses1

Post by NoExcuses1 »

t-ferg wrote:Well done!
How were the tides in the area?
If I remember right, low tide was at 1:30am, and it was still pretty low when I got there. I didn't notice any tides until i got back into parker's cut on the way back in. The water had gone significantly up, and its even more noticeable back there since the slope is pretty gradual for the shoreline.