Cold Pass - Sat 2/11

Springfling

Cold Pass - Sat 2/11

Post by Springfling »

It had been over a month since getting on the water and some aqua therapy was needed after last week. Launched from County Park a bit after 8. Lots of tide movement forecast. Water was heading out and pretty low already. Not much marsh shoreline workable. Focused more towards some of the drop-offs along Moody Island. Lots of scattered birds to help indicate some areas. Water fairly stained, so bait du jour was pump/chart paddle tail. First friend to come say hi was flounder. This guy was followed up by a variety of redfish, including a couple of pretty mid-slot fish. Finished off the day with another Flattie. (Haven't figured out how to post pic in new format).

The tides in Cold Pass always perplex me. I look at the SLP tides, as well as the Christmas Bay tides. They differ quite a bit. And neither seem to accurately predict the movement. In Cold Pass I would figure the SLP tides would govern. As I recall should've been a low tide 9'ish with a high tide mid afternoon. Tide was ripping out up until about 3. It doesn't bother me with regards to fishing, as there is usually current and just need to adapt to it. More for planning target areas and not getting stuck a long way from launch with strong tide to fight against.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Cold Pass - Sat 2/11

Post by kickingback »

Well done! Glad you got some keepers and especially the flatties!
The tide at SLP and the tide in the bay area behind it are always different for me. The closer I am to SLP the more water is dislodged faster. Back in the marsh the tide is slow to move around all that exposed land to get to the pass which is deep and wide which means all the water will go that way on tide movement. If you paddle across from SLP Park to Titlum Tatlum, about halfway across the bayou if look right at the water you can see it whirlpool and slosh around close to the land. The water drops off there and it can sweep you out if your not careful. Lots of water action in the deeper areas especially during high coefficient (moving fast in a short period of time) tides.