Tiki Lights 2/4

lahai1dj

Tiki Lights 2/4

Post by lahai1dj »

Razorback and I fished the lights at Tiki on 2/4. The wind was rough, 15mph and coming from the S/SE. This was pushing the bait towards the causeway and the south side of the island but rough waters made those areas inaccessible. On the north side of the island we saw very little bait in the lights and most were tiny glass minnows but stuck with the plan through the major tide movement which proved unfruitful. We did find two lights with 3+ very large, long fish in each. They were 1-3 feet deep and looked like trout but we couldn't get them to bite anything (plastics, topwaters, spoons). Looking back, they might have been gar although they did move more like trout.

We talked with a few other anglers who has luck catching redfish on the other side of the island and on some of the lights on the west side so we decided to paddle to that area. After braving some rough waters on the south side we paddled into the first canal on the farthest south west side of the island. Here we saw a few sand trout in the lights and began fishing. The major tide movement was over at this time but we still managed to hook one flounder that took a Z-man paddletail. The flounder managed to get off at the side of the boat so I scoured the area with my tandem rig and hooked it on a chartreuse swimming mullet and landed it this time.

It was good to see Yakety yak on the water and thanks to Kickingback for the insights on the island/conditions/bait activity!

Date: Saturday 2/4/17
Time: ~6:00pm-11:30pm
Area: launch at Fat Boys, fish north Tiki, and far south west Tiki.
Tide movement: major from 7pm-9pm
Wind: 15mph S/SE
Fish: 18in Flounder on plastics
lahai1dj

Re: Tiki Lights 2/4

Post by lahai1dj »

I'm getting an error message when I try to upload a picture of the fish. I'll try again later in case you don't know what a flounder looks like :D
NoBoat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by NoBoat »

What is the error?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Sorry to hear about the weather hindering your catching for the night. Glad you got out and caught some at least. Those dang winds are killer at times and the current tops the pucker factor off to the max!
I'm hunkered down myself looking for lighter winds to get out. Will soon hopefully. Thanks for the report and conditions!
Yakety-Yak

Post by Yakety-Yak »

It was good meeting up with ya'll too. I'm glad you managed not to skunk. I didn't even catch a buzz that night :evil: . It's a little late notice but the warden just approved my request for tonight. I'm planning on hitting the lights at the area I told you about on the 4th on the west end. Would be nice to have some company. Let me know if ya'll want to go hunting for a sleigh ride.

BG
lahai1dj

Post by lahai1dj »

Let me know how you do tonight, I am unfortunate enough to have to work early tomorrow morning. If you're available this weekend I'm definitely going to try to catch something. The challenge is finding a place with fish that is sheltered from the wind.