Took Me 20 years To Catch One | MONSTER GRASS CARP

SharkBait >*)\\\><(
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Took Me 20 years To Catch One | MONSTER GRASS CARP

Post by SharkBait >*)\\\><( »

Hooked up to my very first grass carp i have ever caught on live stream today, not only was it my first one it was a monster going nearly 50 pounds in weight. i fished this spot 3 times now in the last week chumming and waiting patiently for the monster carp i knew where there to finally bite.
this grass carp or greater amur carp ate a home made dough bait and was attracted into the area using boiled deer corn, bird seed, and several other ingredients.
i didn't feel properly educated on the subject enough to decide if this invasive species should or should not be in the waters it calls home so i released it, either decision i made would have upset someone more than likely.
that grass carp gave me an amazing gift letting me catch him so i went ahead and returned the favor and let him go. I'm not hungry and i dont kill animals when I'm not hungry.
i have tried to catch grass carp on and off for nearly 20 years and finally managed to make it happen, carp fishing is a strange addiction..i want to go back right now...

http://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t ... e=59124FBE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t ... e=5907F5DA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t ... e=58DF2C79" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t ... e=590ED94E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brownmule

Re: Took Me 20 years To Catch One | MONSTER GRASS CARP

Post by brownmule »

Great catch! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

That's a biggg fish!

Not sure where you caught that fish but there are lakes that have a permit to protect that invasive species to help control the vegetation.
Lake Conroe still has it if the info I am reading is current, and you have to let them go. "Triploid Grass Carp Permit".

I bet that was a blast to catch. I caught one about half that size at Conroe and took me forever to land that thing!!
justin-branam

Post by justin-branam »

Nice catch! I saw some of those swimming around in Purtis Creek State Park, but wasn't able to get one interested in the baits I had available.

Like "Cityfisher" said, and I was told this by a TPWD official at the park, the grass carp is considered an invasive species. However, they are genetically raised to be unable to breed, and only live for 10-15 years. They can be brought in with a permit, to eat vegetation, and are actually protected at that point (must release back into the water alive). If there is not a permit to have them, they are then considered an invasive species, and are not supposed to be thrown back (kind of like tilapia). Not saying anything negative about what you did, this is strictly an FYI.
SharkBait >*)\\\><(
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by SharkBait >*)\\\><( »

if you look at TPWD's web sight it only talks about what to do with grass carp if they are caught in a stocked body of water(which of course you have to release them)
so far i have not seen anything from TPWD about what you are supposed to do with grass carp should you catch them in a non stocked body of water.
i have heard many people claim you are supposed to kill them in non stocked water bodys, but have not seen anything from TPWD stating that.
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by txspeck »

That carp is huge!
pandocalrissian

Post by pandocalrissian »

That's one for them boys in England. Giant American grown carp