Fishing Report - Way past due -

YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Thought you guys may enjoy this -
I am going through some old photos and came across this one from 1936 or 1937. My Dad is the young one with glasses, next to his Dad. They were all going off for a weekend of fly fishing but came back early since they caught too many!! This was up a canyon in Monarch pass in Colorado.
Attachments
Near Monarch Pass, Colorado
Near Monarch Pass, Colorado
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Fishing Report - Way past due -

Post by kickingback »

Way too cool!!! That is awesome! Some of those spec's look like about 12". Was the size limit different back then and how many could you catch?
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Not specs but trout of some sort - brown trout? Not sure what was the main trout in 1936 in Colorado. This is from 8,000 - 9,000' elevation. Also not sure what any limits may have been - likely -

Limits? We don't need no stinkin' limits!
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

In those days, probably cutthroats. Mostly replaced by rainbows and browns these days unfortunately. Great photo though!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Nice photo! 1930's, the Great Depression, they were probably happy to have some food on the table.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Here's my grandfather, Olaf, sometime in the 1930's in New York. Don't mean to hijack your thread YakRunabout, but it got me all nostalgic and reflective. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

CJ - nice pic - same era - same coloring! There is no hijacking involved - just contributing to the topic.

Not to put words in his mouth but your grandfather may say - Hey, fuhgetaboutit
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Very cool pic Ken!
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

kickingback wrote:Way too cool!!! That is awesome! Some of those spec's look like about 12". Was the size limit different back then and how many could you catch?
Looking back, when I first started fishing in saltwater with any regularity - mid-70s - there was a 20 fish bag limit on trout and no bag limit or size restriction on flounder. I cannot recall what the minimum size was for trout. Before that, I was told, there were no limits on anything and people used to net sawfish and catch tarpon in East Galveston Bay....

BTW, I love old pictures like that, YakRunabout. I sometimes regret having taken 20-fish limits of trout back in the day. None of it would ever go to waste, but I remember a few times eating frozen trout fillets months later and wondering why I kept so many. And I remember some trips where we would fill ice chests with big croaker during their fall run, and remember a few trips where three of us would take home 70-80 flounder during the fall run.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

I suspect that this was an epic outing for them. In looking more closely at the picture it appears that the backdrop is a painting which could indicate that they took these to a studio to document their outing. Cameras were probably not too common.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Cool pic CJ.

Good info Yaklash. Must have been something else to see and catch all them fish back then. I know I would have been flabbergasted!!

This is a cool thread.