New net, knot knowledge, and marsh reds 12-17

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I was feeling the marsh fishing itch ahead of tonight's arctic blast and near-certain invasion of wampas.

When I have an itch, i scratch and scratch until I itch no more. So with hot, moist winds from the south, like the clammy breath of Poseidon himself, I spent the first half hour of the morning walking the dog with a pink she-pup. I would have done it longer, but a kleptomaniac redfish grabbed it, and after a tug of war, stole it from my line right at the net and scuttled off leaving mud puffs as he laughed. Thief! My knot was in shambles. It was a nonslip loop knot and those aren't known for their strength. So I retied with a Palomar knot. Heresy according to all the articles and forum posts I read because supposedly the pup won't walk as well without the loop knot. I figured I'd let the redfish decide since most angling writers have overactive imaginations and inflated self-esteem.

Hey redfish! Do you care if the knot isn't a loop?

Good! That settles one of the galaxy's longest lasting mysteries. If your eyes are sharp, you might have noticed that I have a swell rubber net. No more hooks getting snagged and making me scream profanities into the marsh. I managed to get a couple more reds to eat the black, silver, and orange she-pup, but then word got out. Or maybe Putin is collaborating with the reds of the marsh and told them to watch out for my top water. He's tricky, that commie!

I got scared thinking that ol' Vlad might hack my fishing trip, so I switched to the best redfish lure in this dimensional plane and probably all others, the gold spinnerbaits with a chartreuse mullet tail. Sure enough, the fish ate it like there was no tomorrow.

They all wound up like this:

The wind died down later in the day and the squadrons of mosquitoes descended, so I headed home, where I am now. I hope you got out and got some fish before this frigid blast hit. I think I just heard a wampa bellowing out my back door. I'm going to shut out the lights and hide under my bead now. Remember me as I was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paddling Ghost

Re: New net, knot knowledge, and marsh reds 12-17

Post by Paddling Ghost »

Nice report!

Figured there were some fish to be had this morning, wish I would have gone but with the wind forecast it didn't look promising enough to disregard multiple items on the honey do list haha!
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Nice report, entertaining and informative as always.
An observation - could Putin be the topwater?

Also - an add-on to your knot comments - Lately I have been using various clips and occasionally other hardware - they do not seem to care. Have also caught some recently in this clearer water - they do not seem to care.
Attachments
P9292493.JPG
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

YakRunabout, I hadn't considered that trolling a Putin might be just the ticket for sharkin' off the coast. Don't even need a hook! Vlad could just use his viselike, manly thighs to put the shark in a stranglehold while you pulled it is. Also, I'm thinking of using splitrings on my dog walkin' lures. Unless I don't. I'm not committed either way.

txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by txspeck »

WTG Cuervo!. I use snaps exclusivly for all my baits, so much easier to change baits and the fish don't care. Occasionally, big red or trout will mangle your snap.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Believe you hit the proverbial nail on the head (e.g. pegged yourself) with the following: "most angling writers have overactive imaginations". Glad you are back Mr. Cuervo - always enjoy your posts!
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Txspeck, I used snaps for a while, but the redfish abused several of them beyond repair. Now I just retie and it gives me a chance to check the line for frays. And Drifting Yak, you may be on to something. Next thing you know, I'll be going on about solunar tables and the different effects of 1/8 ounce and 3/16 ounce jigs on the depression levels of flounders caught during rising tide on thursdays with a half crescent waxing moon. Madness!

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Nice photos and account there, Mr. Cuervo. You have me wondering if Putin can really do the butterfly stroke. If so, then he is more manly than I ever supposed.

I've been a big rapala loop user for joining whatever to my leader. But lately, I've just said the heck with it many times. The rapala loop consumes 4-5 inches of fluorocarbon with every change. It's like I'm dropping a dime in the water just for changing my lure. Dimes are somewhat limited in my household, so lately, I often use some unnameable knot I learned way back when. I'll call it the 2 cents knot.
whatwake
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by whatwake »

Nice report. You did better than we did.
Rip'n Lip

Post by Rip'n Lip »

Great report Cuervo! Very entertaining!