SLP, Churchill Bayou and Titlum Tatlum

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

SLP, Churchill Bayou and Titlum Tatlum

Post by kickingback »

Fished these areas on Tuesday night from 5 pm until 10 am on Wednesday. Cold night at 55 degrees. Water was 63 at start and 61 at coldest. Winds were 7-10 out of the N/NE and tide was moving in at night and out in the morning. Good tidal coefficient to dislodge the bait from the shell and grass.
Hit all the lights and docks with no bait activity or fish what so ever in the lights. Lots of bait activity in the marshes of Churchill and John Wayne's cut and caught two keeper reds (24" ans 23") from there at about 11 pm and midnight. Mullet were jumping everywhere I shined a light but no fish activity under them to make them move on their own. Fished the deeper cuts and that's where the reeds were hold up. Every fish I have caught there has been in a deeper area like a cut or drain convergence with sand/mud bottom with shell AND grass nearby. I always look for shell in the marsh. You will find fish picking the shells clean most of the time.
The water level was over 1.5' low when I launched and only got back up to .5' low in the morning. Needless to say I could not get as far back in the marshes as I wanted with the low tide. If the level was normal I could guarantee to catch more. Next trip for sure! I used my TM for half of the trip to help in wind and going against tide. If you notice my route I turned around in few spots and came back becasue the water level was too low to navigate and I didn't want to get wet and cold walking through the marsh at night. I also tried to turn up north to Bird Island but the tide going out was just a bit too strong for me at the end of my trip. You have to watch out for the current there between the park and Mud/Moody Islands out into the bay. It can rip at times!
Another Dexter fillet job!
Fishtolive

Re: SLP, Churchill Bayou and Titlum Tatlum

Post by Fishtolive »

Wow! That is quite a fishing trip with determination :D
YakMack

Post by YakMack »

True Fisherman there. Thanks. Cold weather is great. Got all of the fish to yourself!
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

I ran into Kickingback at SLP that morning. My report - I caught 2 keeper trout (17 - 20 inches) under working birds in Titlum, 2 keeper trout (15 and an 18) trolling a wind blown shoreline in Titlum, and one 17 inch trout working a lee shoreline, a 12 inch sandie that went back, 8 rat reds at marsh drains and trolling Titlum and a small, nonkeeper flounder. Most of the fish were caught on a Down South Glo on a 1/8 oz jighead, with some green fishbites on the hooks as well, with a 20lb flourocarbon leader. Wind was NE 10-14 mph all day, which made for a challenge, esp. after I broke the idler cable on my Mirage drive at some point into the trip and I was working with half speed and had to supplement with paddling the Outback. SLP itself was just too rough for fishing that morning. It was a bit chilly - colder than I expected. The lights at the end of the County Park launch were not on (first time I have ever seen that happen), which sucked. So while we were on the water by 4 am hoping to get a couple of hours of light-night fishing in, we were hosed, so we just anchored the yaks on a wind protected shoreline at the end of Treasure Island houses, snoozed in the yak for an hour and a half until first light.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Well done Shoffer!! Glad you guys got some keepers. It was brutal out there at times huh?!
Sorry to hear about your blowout. Hope you get it fixed. ACK always has spare parts.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Monster trip there Mr. kickingback - you sure covered some ground! Congrats on the reds and thanks for posting!
YakMack

Post by YakMack »

I've never done night kayak fishing.

Any top tips?

Safety, casting, lights, etc....

Much appreciated.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I use a hand held spot light to highlight anything i need to see. I have a 100W LED light bar on the front of my yak to really light things up if it gets real dark. Usually you can see a lot in the dark once your eyes adjust. The sounds are what i love. I listen for bait jumping and fish hitting top all the time. I have a 360 light on all the time and have green leds around the yak for anchoring or seeing things in a different light in the marsh. Helps me to see my high vis line also. I wear an LED head lamp and use the most to see what I am tying or removing hooks. Sometimes when I am all alone I ditch all the lights and really get into the surroundings and it feels great when I get a fish on!
I use a 35 amp hour wheel chair Sealed AGM battery for my sonar and all lights. If I take my TM I bring a larger 100 amp hour battery for TM only use or to drop a green light deep over the side. And reflective tape every where...lol...I like to be seen in the bigger channels.
I always leave a trip plan with my family and have my phone and my UHF radio if I go alone like I usually do. It can be somewhat "eerie" at night when you get stuck deep in the marsh with the tide going out or the wind starts to push you back faster than you can go but it's just like day and you have to take a deep breath and keep focused. The night is calming in my opinion and makes it easier for me to concentrate on everything going on around me. Or should I say it forces me to be that way. Planning is key. Safety first.
As for casting and all fishing aspects it's like the day. You see bait activity and fish biting and birds on shores end even tiny shrimp jumping to shore to escape getting eaten. You can toss a line toward the shore where you saw heard the splash or saw the water surface break. If it is far enough away I can use my head lamp and it is not as focused and can add light but not spook the fish like my spot light. Just need to look close or listen. Like I said, I have learned the sounds and it helps me to focus better then I use my light trying not to spook them. The light usually makes the bait at the surface jump around thinking the light is a bright big fish about to bite them or to gt out of the light to not be seen and eaten. Either way sometimes it can kill the action so try to listen as much as you can. Use the moon light if it is out. You will be surprised at how well you can see things in the moonlight. So cool at times as well!
It gets colder at night so dress warm or bring more layers to put on. Right now you will need them! I carry Hot Hands all the time and have two Zippo hand held heaters to help if needed as well. I wear latex gloves under my fishing gloves to keep hands dry. They will be a bit cold but warm inside the latex glove I have found.
Here is a link to my setup...http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 3&t=236221
Hope I helped. Ask if you need more info.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Great idea on using the latex gloves. Will give them a try next time I'm out.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

I night fish a lot as well, but I like to hit the channels and lights. I have never ventured into the marsh at night, but it seems like it would be fun. Like Kickingback, I have a headlamp, a 360 light and a super bright LED flashlight that is connected to my PFD. That's really all the light I need for what I do. Sometimes I will venture into the darkness and throw topwaters at night which is fun. I send a pin from my phone right before I launch so my wife knows exactly where I launched and what time I launched.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

kickingback wrote:Well done Shoffer!! Glad you guys got some keepers. It was brutal out there at times huh?!
Sorry to hear about your blowout. Hope you get it fixed. ACK always has spare parts.
This is the second time I have broken that cable, and the third cable total. I also snapped one of the metal legs that holds the footpedals once. My drive gets some heavy duty action. when that kind of stuff happens, I fix it the same day - you never know when the mood hits you for a trip! I also broke a YakAttack ball when I was out fishing (the one that held my fishfinder) there, and the ACK guy showed me an easy fix using a bolt and nut that saved me from buying a new ball. ACK guys are class acts all the way around - and the Houston location is about 5 minutes from my house!
cabajohw

Post by cabajohw »

Awesome report and 14 miles!! Damn!
YakMack

Post by YakMack »

Thanks for the tips! Much appreciated.