Galveston Island State Park - Breakwater and Marsh Work

rcyak

Galveston Island State Park - Breakwater and Marsh Work

Post by rcyak »

Went to GISP yesterday morning and launched in Jenkins Bayou. Paddled to marsh, probably 1.5' water clarity, could stand and see fish. Low winds. Caught a couple of flounder and 2 rat reds on gulp swimming mullet. Everything released. Nice day to be out.

I did want to highlight that there is heavy equipment in the area. It is more out in Carancahua Cove, looks like working on enhancing breakwaters. I did not paddle out to get closer look. There was one dredge more in the Jenkins Bayou area that looked to creating those square marsh islands. So it was a little noisier than normal. Fishing appeared to ok away from the equipment. I did a quick google search and found this link below for bids for work in the area and I'm guessing this is the work that is starting and on-going (amatuer investigator at best :) ) The second bid attachment on the link has interesting drawings for work both at GISP and near Sportsman road. Again, I have no actual knowledge that this is the work on-going but it looked like early stages of this work. Just wanted to give folks a heads up if they are headed that way.

http://www.bidnet.com/closed-government ... =398044522" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Galveston Island State Park - Breakwater and Marsh Work

Post by kickingback »

Thanks for the report. It was nice out yesterday for sure!
Last edited by kickingback on Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
donb75228

Re: Galveston Island State Park - Breakwater and Marsh Work

Post by donb75228 »

Thanks, RCYAK you saved me some investigation time.
I was down there a couple weeks ago and noticed the
work at GISP and also off Sportsman's Rd. It will be interesting
to see it when finished.