10-27 G Causeway Night Rpt

mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

10-27 G Causeway Night Rpt

Post by mpg2yahoo »

My friend Blesson and I decided to hit the Galveston Causeway to check the fish bite at night for this location. We launched from Galveston Bait & Tackle and I decided to grab a pint of live shrimp to fish the bottom.

The tide was incoming from 6pm until we left at 11:30pm with east winds 8-10 mph. The water was green with about 1ft visibility tops and shrimp was jumping around in the water at times.

We saw about 4-6 kayaks beside us and 1 boat, plus the regular shore fisherman.

I fished mostly bottom for the first 2 hours hooking 3 stingrays and 1 keeper speck, but since I was looking for >17" I let the trout go to grow a bit more. After getting tired of hooking stingrays I switched to shrimp imitation lures (Vudu Baby Shrimp) and hooked more than 30 sandtrout and trout in the next two hours. All released because they were small or <17".

Blesson and I both caught one ribbonfish each, which we will be using for a later offshore trip, 1 18.5" trout, and 1 16.5" flattie.

Overall, it would have been fun for a kid to fish last night and catch all those dinks and sandies, but for big fish it was mehee...

Fun to be out at the Causeway after more than a year of not visiting this spot.
product19

Re: 10-27 G Causeway Night Rpt

Post by product19 »

I was one of the other kayakers out there. Fished until dawn. Like you I had to wade through hordes of small sandies. Eventually switched to topwater lures to cull through all the throwbacks and pull out the bigger fish. Ended the night with seven keeper specs--most all about 15.5" with only two that were bigger. It was a real grind to get those seven.