10/22/16 Freeport Texas

MocoYaker

10/22/16 Freeport Texas

Post by MocoYaker »

Got to the launch at about 0640 hours this morning. It was about 55 degrees and the wind was 10-15 mph NE/E. My wife and I hit the water around 0700 hours and headed to the spot where I have been getting on some big schools of reds.

I normally pass one or two schools of trout but didn't see anything but small gar on the way. Got to the spot and saw a ton of baitfish moving around but no redfish. Hunted the little lake for hours and finally had a small pod of reds pop up in front of us.

I got up to them and tried to pick off a fish in the back so my wife could snag one before they scattered. They were moving pretty quick and I threw a few feet behind them. She made a perfect cast and hooked up almost instantly. I got distracted watching her and let my line get tangled up in hers. Ended up having to cut it and she was able to get in the 22" red and every inch of my cut line was recovered and removed.

We fished for a few more hours but didn't have any luck. We saw a lot of mud boils but couldn't get any strikes. I think there were so many shrimp in the little lake that they just wouldn't hit a paddle tail and did not have the need to school. We probably should have changed to a shrimp imitation but you live and learn. (just thinking out loud)

I wanted to explore some but my wife was pretty tired so we headed to the house around noon. She proved her fatigue by sleeping in a terrible position for about half the way back home! I made a little video of the day and have attached the link below.
https://youtu.be/xkbefeWG9VA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

adanvjr

Re: 10/22/16 Freeport Texas

Post by adanvjr »

Nice report