Daddy Daughter Fishing.

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Daddy Daughter Fishing.

Post by karstopo »

Walked out of the house into the delicious crisp predawn air and thought where have you been I missed you so much. Looked up at Orion and caught a glimpse of 2 bits of Halley's comet burning up in the atmosphere. No need to rush to the launch today to beat the heat.

Got to Saltgrass sometime after 8. Paddled by several boats and kayaks. I had my daughter in my tarpon with a pound of dead shrimp, a rattling cork rig, a bottom rig, and a jig head with a tail. I put her on a previously productive spot, while I went looking for fish. Given the season, the tides, and the location I was expecting a pod of redfish to show itself sometime very soon. Sure enough, a little flight of gulls marked the fish. I paddle over to her and said " we got redfish, follow me".

We got upwind of the pod. Pod was moving into the wind. Might have been 30 fish clustered up and churning and burning the bait. One of the best things out there that I will ever see. This was my daughter's first sight of a good sized pod of redfish doing their thing. She was impressed. I coached her, " throw the bait well out in front, try not to throw it into the middle". First cast was short of the school, good, but too far right. Try again. This time she nailed a seagull on the cast and the commotion spooked the pod. Fish go everywhere. Bad luck, it happens. Undaunted, she throws it out again and what do you know but I see her with a fish on.

I have the net in my Commander and after a good little battle, I try to get it in the net. That's hard to do from a second kayak, but I eventually get it done. Smiles all around.

We fished for a good while longer. She gets some more reds, little ones, a couple of "catfish" ,a good piggy perch, and a really nice croaker. Dad avoids the skunk, but only barely, with a tater chip flatfish.

She likes to paddle and has 3 Times the patience I do, at least for fishing. I hope we can do this again. She even washed my truck after we got home. Good day.
Attachments
1022160943a-1.jpg
1022160948e-1.jpg
FingerMullet

Re: Daddy Daughter Fishing.

Post by FingerMullet »

Way to go dad!! I remember those times with my pop.. I sure do miss him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MocoYaker

Post by MocoYaker »

Looks like an awesome day, glad you were able to put her on some fish! I bet seeing a big group of reds like that has her wanting to go back tomorrow
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

MocoYaker wrote:Looks like an awesome day, glad you were able to put her on some fish! I bet seeing a big group of reds like that has her wanting to go back tomorrow
She wants to go surf fishing now for bull reds and sharks.
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Cypress/West Galveston bay/ East Matty/ Mirrolure Pro Staff

Post by troutslinger »

Awesome!!!
The Angler

Post by The Angler »

Great job Karstopo! :clap:
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by txspeck »

Awesome job Pops!
rattlesnake68

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Good job. Thanks for the report.
elnaco

Post by elnaco »

Great stuff Karstopo. My little gal has got a few years before I can get her out on the water and I can't wait until then. Of course I'm sure when that day comes part of me will be wishing she was still the little one she is now.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Well done. My dad didn't fish. But he took me out on a boat once and had me hold onto the anchor. Told me not to let go until he gave the line 3 tugs, then pushed me overboard. Your family does things differently I see.

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Future CCA Star winner! Way to go!
TexanBrewer

Post by TexanBrewer »

Good times!

I have a daughter of similar age that I've yet to take kayak fishing. We did go to a private pier this summer where she caught over 16 dink trout. Seeing her baiting her own hook and releasing the fish herself tells me she's ready.

I need to do this with her...
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

TexanBrewer wrote:Good times!

I have a daughter of similar age that I've yet to take kayak fishing. We did go to a private pier this summer where she caught over 16 dink trout. Seeing her baiting her own hook and releasing the fish herself tells me she's ready.

I need to do this with her...

My daughter can spend a whole day fishing and seem to never tire of it. When she was little, we would bank fish most of the day away at a river near where we lived using earthworms we dug up. My folks live on an Oxbow lake and she can spend an entire day there catching bait, baiting hooks, and reeling in catfish and bass. She reeled in a 22# channel cat using a tilapia she caught for bait. Sunday, we went to the surf at Bryan Beach and caught mullet and used those to catch a small variety of fish. I think she prefers that type fishing to kayak fishing. She wants to catch big fish like bull reds and sharks. I know you can do that from a kayak, but BTB is biting off a little more than I'm willing to chew for her at this time. I watched her grab a sharpnosed shark all wrong just this past Sunday. But if she wants to spend time with dad, I'll fish however she likes.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Take her to Sea Rim soon! Bull reds, soft shore waves and very shallow, minimal equipment needed on the yak (for fear of turtling), lots of others going that can assist! This Thursday they are going! Check with Mythman.
krackdawg

Post by krackdawg »

Saw this thread, and couldn't resist. I just got my 9 yr old her own kayak, and we took it out a couple weeks ago to Sam Rayburn and she smoked em - catching numerous bass on a texas rigged worm. - Times like those make a pappa proud!
Attachments
tatum.jpg
CoastieCulture
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CoastieCulture »

love this!!!!!!! Awesome job!
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Awesome stuff! That's what it's all about! :clap:
StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

Awesome pics, buddy, sounds like a great day indeed. My wife is pregnant with our first, a little girl. I hope I can get her to fall in love with fishing with me also. Maybe years from now I'll be able to post our own daddy daughter fishing trips.

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

StrykerDM wrote:Awesome pics, buddy, sounds like a great day indeed. My wife is pregnant with our first, a little girl. I hope I can get her to fall in love with fishing with me also. Maybe years from now I'll be able to post our own daddy daughter fishing trips.

Congrats on your good news. My daughter seems wired to fish. Catching fish or not, she enjoys the process and sticks with it, even when I might have had enough. My son is a catcher only, if they don't bite in 3 minutes, he is ready to move on to something else besides fishing.
Millsman5

Post by Millsman5 »

Great Job! Taking your children and getting them active outdoors is one of greatest memories that you guys will have.

My middle daughter who is 11 kayak fishes with me. last summer after riding in the front of my kayak, she decided to save for her own. I don't have a picture with me here today, but she has the same blue pelican that your daughter has krackdog. She loves it, she lost her skeg a few weeks back and she wants to make one for it with me.

Doing things like that with your kids is awesome!