Christmas Bay fishing with North Winds

dlcooksey72

Christmas Bay fishing with North Winds

Post by dlcooksey72 »

I was thinking about going fishing on Friday but weather is calling for 15 MPH winds from NNE, does anyone have any suggestions for fishing Christmas bay in those conditions? Should I just pick another day or would the condition be fishable?

Thanks,
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Christmas Bay fishing with North Winds

Post by karstopo »

That's a tough wind and especially direction for Christmas bay. I'd have a back up plan.
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

Victory at Sea (Bay?) conditions. Even the E. end at the condos launch would probably not be enough to protect you. My vote would be to stay at home and enjoy the cool weather and do some yard work.

If you just have to get out to that area, at least Drum has the old ICW spoils and many reefs/islands for protection. However, if the tide has dropped a bunch that wouldn't be my first choice either.

Launching out of Louis'/Highland Bayou area would provide some protection from the N. wind, or at least reduce it's fetch. If the front is still fresh, and water is dumping out of the previously flooded marsh systems I bet something would be waiting to gorge on all the bait flushing out.
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by txspeck »

Stay home!
habanerojooz

Post by habanerojooz »

There's one shoreline NE from the launch that provides some protection from the North wind. Download 'My Radar' and turn on the 'wind' layer and you'll see it.

That app is my favorite fishing weather app.

It's Fall and the fish are active. I say. Go Fish!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Wind at Galveston North Jetty at 02:30 was NNE 20kts gusting to 24. Anyone is going to have a tough time just leaving the launch and making it upwind towards the protected shoreline. Your protection along that shoreline is about 2 feet of cord grass if you are lucky.

The winds only just began blowing like that a few hours ago. It may go a little more east, but it's doubtful it will subside much by dawn. The upside in conditions like these is that you will likely have the whole bay to yourself.

Maybe you can fight the wind and win on the paddle over to Churchill bayou one, two or three. Hunker down up against a low bank because that's all there is there. Have all your gear continually want to blow away. Man vs. Nature. Survivor man.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Small Craft Advisory in effect through Friday evening
Coastal Waters From High Island To Freeport Out 20 Nm-
Rest Of Tonight

North winds 20 to 25 knots becoming northeast after midnight. Seas 2 to 4 feet building to 4 to 6 feet with occasional seas up to 7 feet after midnight.
Friday

Northeast winds 20 to 25 knots decreasing to 15 to 20 knots in the afternoon. Seas 4 to 6 feet with occasional seas up to 7 feet.

Sounds like fun.
habanerojooz

Post by habanerojooz »

That is a nasty forecast. I haven't been paying attention to the area weather as I'm far away right now.

If one still wants to fish in those conditions, the Anahuac Wildlife Refuge area and down to Frozen Point are options to consider as the wind will be somewhat at your back.

When conditions aren't good but I'm itching to fish, sometimes I leave the kayak at home and I go for a wade.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

txspeck wrote:Stay home!
Yep...if I just had to fish, and time and distance were not a factor, I'd hit Anahuac NWR...but would probably just stay home
dlcooksey72

Post by dlcooksey72 »

Thanks for all the great replies and yes I stayed home or rather went to work. Going to try for redo on this Tuesday since conditions look better ...
rgrayson

Post by rgrayson »

I've made the mistake of trying to battle the winds. You spend more time trying to position yourself and trying to not fall out of the yak than actually fishing. It isn't a good time. However, the exception is if you could find an area on the north side of the water to launch with the idea of hugging the shoreline, you could make it work. You'd want narrow and protected waters though. Christmas Bay caters to launching at the south so it's a bit rough to battle that.
dlcooksey72

Post by dlcooksey72 »

I stayed home looking for better conditions on Tuesday..