Redfish

YakRunabout

Redfish

Post by YakRunabout »

Launched at Louis’ Bait Camp early this morning with Drifting Yak into a very high tide. The tide was due to drop rapidly later in the morning but the early high level allowed us to explore the marsh easily before the drop. Water was about 80 degrees and clear, could see the bottom in many areas – course that is just two feet or less generally. It allowed me to get a good look at the large flounder that I had hooked as it swam under the kayak. Guess they have their eyes on the side like that so they can see when to spit the hook back at you. So much for the one that got away.
Earlier I had landed the 22”+ redfish pictured here with the sun rising behind it. This took a savage shrimp, as did the flounder. The shrimp saw most of the attention today, unlike my previous outing when it was largely ignored. I ended up catching a couple of rat reds and some small flounder as well as a gafftop. Not a real active day, but enough to keep casting.
I liked the effect of the sun through the fins of this back-lit red and so it caused me to review some other redfish pics. Here is one other – from a couple of weeks ago while fishing the lights at Tiki Island. The camera flash adds shine to the scales and shows the interesting detail of the lower gill cover.

If you can open the pics they appear to orient correctly.
Attachments
PA180049.JPG
P9292505.JPG