Port A.. Jumped a Tarpon

yakkingintothewind

Port A.. Jumped a Tarpon

Post by yakkingintothewind »

I wasn't kayaking today, but I went to the Port Aransas South jetty. Got there right at 6, which was right when the wind started to pick up.. great. Started out throwing a Norton sand shad on a jig head. Within the first few casts, I landed a decent trout and got a few other bites. I eventually switched to a super spook jr. Right around sunset (7:00) I tossed it just behind a school of spooked bait and instantly figured out why they were spooked. My drag took off and then he started jumping. I now know why people talk about "jumping a tarpon". After a few jumps, I fought him up to the rocks where he gave one more jump, which was all he needed. Im guessing he was around 34". Moral of the story is... A fishing partner is no good if your fishing partner and net are 50 yards down the jetty. I cried a little bit, bent my hook back, and fished a little more and landed a 19" ladyfish. Ill be returning to that jetty tomorrow.
The Angler

Re: Port A.. Jumped a Tarpon

Post by The Angler »

You should stick to the "poor mans tarpon "to get some more practice bowing the rod :wink: :lol:

Just kidding, regardless if it was landed or not, that's awesome man; you must have done well if he didn't get off after that many jumps. I try and keep my rod tip down, especially when you start to see that line climbing up, to prevent bringing the fish up to the surface, but that probably won't keep a tarpon from doing his thing.

A 30" tarpon sounds like a perfect size to be able to safely handle the fish and snap few pics.

Were you using your inshore gear?
yakkingintothewind

Post by yakkingintothewind »

Sure was. 7' falcon coastal with a Penn battle 2500
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Tarpon are all about the hook set. It takes a lot of force (a stiffer rod would help), a relatively big hook, and the hook has to be razor sharp. That it came back to you bent open is not a surprise. Feel lucky to have jumped one and that you got to fight it for any time at all. Congratulations.

I recall the time I jumped one (about that size) at the north jetty in Galveston, throwing a spoon and it jumped a few times and then came loose. Probably a #6 treble hook and it had little to no chance of getting stuck in its mouth, fishing with 14 lb mono at the time and didn't know a thing about hooking poons.
The Angler

Post by The Angler »

yakkingintothewind wrote:Sure was. 7' falcon coastal with a Penn battle 2500
Nice!! I can only imagine the rush after the first jump.

Good luck tomorrow!
Zackthefisherman

Post by Zackthefisherman »

Awesome that sounds like a blast! I agree with Yaklash. You were lucky enough to have jumped one yet alone get a decent fight out of him. Tarpon are one of the few fish you can actually brag about losing. Congratulations!

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
teen yaker

Post by teen yaker »

This is awesome 8)

Great *almost* catch :wink: