East Flats - October 7, 2016

Neumie
Site Admin

East Flats - October 7, 2016

Post by Neumie »

We had a hankering for reds, limits of reds. After checking on the forecasted winds (NE all day) and weather (scattered rain cells) we looked at aerial imagery for a spot which could offer some protection. We settled on launching at Island Moorings Marina and fishing around one of the islands for reds. We launched just after 7 am and made our way up the channel to Pelone Island. I began working Pelone Island while Whit went even shallower to the north. We both had a lot of action with undersized reds and piggies attacking our topwaters. I temporarily put the topwater down and grab a MirrOdine, but landed only piggies. After awhile I strung up my first red and then my second. Then a clap of thunder.

I had been paying attention to what was going on and it was confirmed by a check of radar. We had about 3 separate sprinkles, but nothing serious. We meet back up at Whit had strung a red up himself. We decided to drift some more open water where we were able to finish our limits and pick up a couple keeper trout for our efforts. The wind began to pick up some out of the NE, but we changed our focus to catching some trout and paddled west towards the deeper waters. We made one drift without luck before we decided to paddle back in (into a stiff headwind now) to take care of a few things at the cabin. It was a great morning, and there's nothing better than having a redfish topwater bite until after noon.

Time: 7:15 am - 2:00 pm
Air Temp: 83 °F
Wind: E @ 2 kn - NE @ 15 kn
Barometric Pressure: 1012 mb (rising)
Water Clarity: 2 feet
Water Temp: 84 °F
Structure: Grass Flats

Predicted Tides @ Port Aransas
Low @ 1:20 pm (0.56 ft)
High @ 11:45 pm (1.34 ft)

Solunar:
Sunrise/set: 7:24 am/7:07 pm
Moonrise/set: 12:57 pm/11:56 pm
Moon Phase: Waxing Cresent (33%)

Lures:
Silver Mullet Super Spook Jr.
Black Back/White Belly/Silver Luminescence MirrOlure MirrOdine
Shrimp Creole Dockside Matrix Shad on 1/8oz jighead
Plum/Chartreuse Norton Sand Shad Jr. on 1/8oz jighead
Pumpkin Pepper/Chartreuse H&H 3" Cocahoe Minnow on 1/8oz flutter hook

Fish:
Reds: 6 slotters & a handful of rats
Trout: 3 keepers & a handful of dinks
Piggies: damn piggies

Last edited by Neumie on Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cabajohw

Re: East Flats - October 7, 2016

Post by cabajohw »

Great report! good looking reds
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

You have come a long way since we first met.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Tombo wrote:You have come a long way since we first met.
I hope that's a compliment, lol.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Neumie wrote:
Tombo wrote:You have come a long way since we first met.
I hope that's a compliment, lol.
Yep, and you could give Jets quarterback a run for his money in the beard dept. Also a compliment. My attempt at a beard looks similar to small patches of grey grass.
The Angler

Post by The Angler »

for having an inferior mouth, those reds sure do know how to slam a topwater . Great reports Neumie!
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

The Angler wrote:for having an inferior mouth, those reds sure do know how to slam a topwater . Great reports Neumie!
I wouldn't call it inferior. They evolved to be bottom feeders, more or less, rooting around in the sand and mud looking for crabs and shrimp. That's why their aggressiveness on topwater is great. They either come up from underneath, torpedo it, or turn sideways. Either way they actually lose sight of the bait when attacking a topwater, so it's important to have consistent walk-the-dog motion, like a metronome.
The Angler

Post by The Angler »

I always use steady, rhythmic retrieves until I get a blow up, then I'll switch to a more dynamic, injured baitfish type of retrieve with short pauses. The metronome is a good analogy, one I use all the time when explaining speeds of my retrieves in terms of BPM's (beats per minute).

I love it when the Reds make a " torpedo" attack, reminds me of how an orca will devour a sea lion. In my experience, it's usually the upper slots making those kind of attacks; great stuff.

BTW, when I say inferior mouth, I'm just talking in anatomical terms, meaning the mouth is on the bottom; well suited for bottom feeders as you described.

Anyway, I like your reports and all the data you include in them, not to mention all the cool pics; makes for a good log to refer to. I like to save the graph images from NOAA for visual reference on mine.

Keep up the good work!