...when others stay home....

Yakety-Yak

...when others stay home....

Post by Yakety-Yak »

I go fishing, well for the most part. Went out in west bay yesterday and avoided the thunderclouds for most of the day. I originally had planned to launch at 8 mile and head to the deer islands but with the incoming storms from the west I held off for an hour or two. I worked my way down the grass line to find a marsh drain. The tide was starting to come in a bit so I staked out just before the second marsh drain and threw my set up cross current and reeled in slowly and added small twitches to the retrieve and right when the lure came passed the entrance on the corner of the drain I felt a big THUMP. The line went slack so I reeled it in and felt a good bit of tension and felt that wonderful tick....tick......tick, counted to 20 and set the hook and the fight was on. I'll be honest here, when that flattie came up my eyes got HUGE, heart started racing like a formula 1 engine and I felt like a kid again who got his first fish. I prayed to God, "Please don't let the line snap, pleeeease!". I finally netted her and she was a nice 22" Flattie. After that high, I worked that marsh drain some more and then continued down the grass line and managed 3 small specks just under 15" and a rat red which I didn't measure. I noticed bait crashing in a pocket and I threw the rig over there and that's where the red came in. This is my first slam so I was pretty happy about that. Hopefully next time I'll be able to take my slam home to the wife and kiddo. Only one picture sorry.

Kayak: PA14
Weather: scattered storms/ partly cloudy 85 degrees/ 5-10 se wind (felt great with the storms)
Water: 1-2 feet clarity/ green
Rig: Fleuger Spinner on a 6'9" All store inshore rigged with a drop shot rig
Bait: DSL Limetreuse on a 1/4 oz drop shot set up.

The bottom flattie was from work before I went out fishing.
IMG_3062.JPG
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: ...when others stay home....

Post by kickingback »

Great report! Flounder are ever more present now and easy to catch! Congrats on the Slam!!!
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Slam! 22" flounder! Wow! Congrats!!
The Angler

Post by The Angler »

Congrats on your first slam! All on the same lure too! :clap:
TigerLandSportsman

Post by TigerLandSportsman »

Congrats, very nice fish!

Congrats on the slam too

Could you explain your drop shot rig?
Yakety-Yak

Post by Yakety-Yak »

Thanks everyone!
TigerLandSportsman wrote:Congrats, very nice fish!

Congrats on the slam too

Could you explain your drop shot rig?
TigerLand, there are a couple of ways people rig them. But how I rigged mine, which this was the first time I used a drop shot set up, was to tie a polymer knot to a 2/0 circle hook and take the tag end and put it through the circle hook and pull it down through the eye of the hook from top down (make sure the hook is facing upward). I took a stainless steel drop shot weight I found at Academy that comes in a pack of 3 or 4 and all you do is put the tag end through the eye of the weight and set it at the length you want your lure to sit at in the water column and pull tight and its set. No need to tie it as the drop shot weight is designed to snap if caught on shell or whatever. I like to set the weight about a foot (+/- a few inches) below the hook. Make sure if you are going deep to use a 3/8 once or heavier, esp. if there is strong current.

EDIT: Some use fluorocarbon but I used mono. If you have braided line I suggest tying your main line to a swivel and then use fluorocarbon for the leader. I would tie the swivel about 8 - 10" from the hook.