A Tale of 3 Lures - Part 2

YakRunabout

A Tale of 3 Lures - Part 2

Post by YakRunabout »

Drifting Yak and I made a repeat of last week’s outing with another afternoon marsh/cove followed by some time at the lights after dark. Water (low 90’s) and weather conditions (hot, muggy) were similar each week with the main difference being the tide. Last week we launched close to a high tide and had a dropping tide during most of the outing. Yesterday we launched late into the dropping tide and so just a couple of hours head of the low. The water level was definitely lower yesterday with mud banks and much of the flats exposed. Later in the lights there was probably a bit less water movement, though neither night had any consistent flow.

A Disclaimer – I have been fishing the bays/coves/marshes for a bit more than a year so please take these write-ups as a review of what I used and the results, not for a recommendation on what is best to do. In reviewing my current approach I am very much in an exploration mode. There are lots of lures out there as you know. There are many still that I have not tried. Perhaps one day I will land on a limited selection that I prefer? and that work consistently??

This day was much slower for me with the total fish to the kayak about half of last week, probably 15 or so. Also overall smaller sized, with only 3 keeper sized trout, largest a bit over 18”. The fish were mostly speckled trout, but with several sand trout, rat reds, croaker and a rockfish (a first for me!).

Some of the lures that produced well last week were not so effective this week. The Cotton Cordell super spot that produced a mix of fish last week, this week produced a sand trout shortly after the launch, but nothing more the rest of the afternoon.
The small rapala husky jerk 06 size that was a big draw for the fish last week, was a fish repellent this week. Go figure?! The little husky jerk has done well for me before and so I am sure will make a comeback.

The first lure to highlight is a white curly tail/gulp swim mullet. These produced some fish through the afternoon as well as under the lights. I started with the curly tail grub but as it got a bit beat up, replaced it with the gulp. Combined they produced a few croaker and sand trout.

The second lure for me is a gulp jerk shad. I have used this often and it has produced a lot at times. This day it was less successful than average but it did bring in a first for me with the (rockfish) Toadfish. Just before sunset I was fishing at a marsh drain. I had just brought in a rat red on the jerk shad, and so I thought I may have another. Instead it was the ugliest fish I have ever seen. The mouth and head appear to be way too big for the rest of the body. It looks like it can fit more into its mouth than its stomach can hold (see the belly bulge in the pics). Luckily he was easy to unhook. An interesting fish!

The 3rd lure is a brand new one for me. I had just bought this earlier in the day. A few weeks back at the lights I had gotten a good look at a trout chasing a shad. I have been trying to find something to imitate that. Also looking for small, since the fish previously seemed to prefer that. In this search I ended up with a Rapala Scatter Rap Shad in the 05 size. With the husky jerk turning from an attractant to a repellant, I put on the new shad – and right away we had a new fish attractant. The rest of the night at the lights this was the new producer for me. The 3 keeper sized trout were on this. The reaction to this was the same as that to the husky jerk last week. The lure would land or come into the lighted area and the fish would converge on the lure, follow it and often strike. All interesting to observe from above.

Mike had a more productive outing than I did and will have a different set of lures to highlight. I think in ways his outing was more productive though less active than last week.
Attachments
Early on with the white curly tail
Early on with the white curly tail
Note the belly bulge
Note the belly bulge
P8242374.JPG
Last edited by YakRunabout on Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YakRunabout

Re: A Tale of 3 Lures - Part 2

Post by YakRunabout »

A few more pics
Attachments
The interlude between acts
The interlude between acts
The white swim mullet
The white swim mullet
The Rapala Shad
The Rapala Shad
adanvjr

Post by adanvjr »

Good report.

One thing I learned, presentation alone can be an attractant or a repellent.

I was invited to the PACK-TX event this past Saturday night for my very first night fishing "under the lights" trip.
Pretty fun.

In about 4 hours time, I hooked about a dozen sand trout (took home the bigger ones), 5 specks (undersized), and 2 reds (undersized).
Had about 8-10 other hookups that were lost within a few seconds.
All were caught on a 3" Paddle Tail and 1/8 oz jighead.

However, I noticed that my usual steady straight retrieves and "wounded baitfish" retrieves were hardly effective.
In fact, there were times when I actually saw predators scoot back as my lure came by.

I decided to slow down to a crawl (which is sort of rare that I do that, as my 2 other usual retrieves often produce)
From then on, I was getting results pretty quick & steady.
adanvjr

Post by adanvjr »

Oh, and that ugly thing looks to be a "Toadfish"

The name suits them :shock:
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

That is a good outing at the lights - congrats.

A good observation on the retrieve - it can vary from night to night and for the different lures. I had the same retrieve last night as a week ago with the husky jerk with the opposite reaction. A steady retrieve also did not work. The retrieve on the shad last night was different than the husky jerk the previous week, a steady retrieve worked.

I threw a paddle tail some last night but they were not much interested.

Thanks for the fish ID - I have not seen either before - just glad the hook was easy to get to.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Very good detailed report! That sounded like a lot of fun with all the catching. Can't complain one bit! Way to go!
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

With the ID as a Toadfish - I looked that up and came up with the following description and picture. Note the last line in the description - Has poisonous spines -

Description
Also known as Frogfishes.

Found singly in coastal, coral bays and lagoons, amongst seagrass beds, sand and rubble areas.
They feed on small fish, crustaceans and worms.
Length - 30cm
Depth - 1-12m
Widespread Western Atlantic

Toadfish can make a load croaking noise with their swim bladders. Their mouth can open and expand to the width of their bodies to engulf large prey.
Has poisonous spines.
Attachments
U2Nm3wJCw4.jpg
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

My last pic of the toadfish
Attachments
P8242375.JPG
capn crunch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by capn crunch »

Diversion, I enjoyed your story and pics. Something looked strange, but took me a second to figure it out. I was at Seawolf yesterday and took the same pic as you. I am having trouble loading it. Bear with me.
IMG_0106.JPG
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

CC - Very nice
We can call it the anvil?
Attachments
The Anvil
The Anvil
capn crunch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by capn crunch »

Anvil works for me. The first thing that came to my mind was Yoda from Star wars.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

I can see Yoda in yours. Mine are a bit later and so more stretched out.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

I can't see any of that....The clouds must be in the way! :lol:
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Nice job, guys. Work has been beating my arse lately, with a big trial coming up the beginning of October, so my night fishing has been sporadic at best. Couple that with my fishing buddy's summer travel schedule, and it has been tough. Hope to get out for the bull red run soon, however. Next time, PM me when you guys are thinking of going. I might be able to sneak out for some saltwater therapy.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

shoffer wrote:Nice job, guys. Work has been beating my arse lately, with a big trial coming up the beginning of October, so my night fishing has been sporadic at best. Couple that with my fishing buddy's summer travel schedule, and it has been tough. Hope to get out for the bull red run soon, however. Next time, PM me when you guys are thinking of going. I might be able to sneak out for some saltwater therapy.

Will do! The coming week might hold more rain....Just guessing....
El Gato Diablo

Post by El Gato Diablo »

Looks like a Marlin breaching to me.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Marlin it is!
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

My case, your honor
Attachments
Anvil.jpg
P8242393.JPG
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

A marlin in west bay?
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (5.92 KiB) Viewed 4470 times
El Gato Diablo

Post by El Gato Diablo »

The clouds dude.
DelSol
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by DelSol »

Good report!
It's nice to read and look at pics in a fishing report instead of having to click play or click on a link 8)
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Yes - A marlin dude!

black-marlin-33M1038-15.jpg

I snapped this while trolling the PA out in West Bay last summer....Ok maybe a slight stretch! :lol: