Tiki Lights 7/9

TexAg_Yak08

Tiki Lights 7/9

Post by TexAg_Yak08 »

:dance: I've officially gotten the monkey off my back :dance:

Met up with YakNTex and another friend at FatBoys last night to fish some lights around Tiki Island. If anyone recalls not to long ago, I made a post considering selling the yak and abandoning ship on this crazy addiction we've all come to love or hate depending on the day. From that thread I've had contact with several members who have provided nothing but support and encouragement to help kill the skunk.

7:30- Buccee's for the ever important Gatorade and water, a bag of ice and a rice Krispy treat for dinner. After having a pleasant in and out in 5 minute shopping experience I was south bound once again for what I knew was going to be a good night of fishing.

7:50- pulled into the public ramp by Fatboy's. If you haven't been in a while watch out for the sharp drop and huge potholes that await for your arrival. 1 member of our group was already there waiting on myself and YakNTex, as I backed in to unload YakNTex pulled in as well. We all quickly unloaded and discussed our game plan for the evening.

8:30- After snapping a picture of my Pescador Pro 120, Doug's Pesacdor 12, and YakNTex's Big Rig staged for launch against a beautiful picture perfect sunset, we began to paddle towards Tiki Island.

As we made our way across the glass like water to the first set of lights on the north side we could see some baitfish getting whacked and knew we were in for a treat! All hyped up and ready to tear into them and not a single blowup or bite on the Glow in the dark paddle tails... On to the next, then next and next...this pattern continued for the majority of the evening. We watched some folks fishing their lights from the docks pull some trout but couldn't get anything going ourselves.

As we neared the end of the north side and approached the point, the water turned quite choppy and was pushing baitfish against the bulkhead and into three lights that became the best lights I've ever seen! YakNTex, fired a perfectly placed cast and within seconds was battling a fat 25" slot red. I eased past him and fired away producing a wicked strike from a nice 18" spec.

Talk about nerves...I knew this fish was a keeper when she surfaced near the boat, I reached for my net and tried to land her... No dice a quick jump and flip away from the net, no sweat ease in under her and scoop her up...as I lifted the net like an idiot or overly excited angler I lifted my rod as well pulling her out of the water completely..... Finally I lower her into the net and put her in the boat!!! I've done it I've shot the skunk! I got her measured and put in the fish bag quickly and fired away to see if there was anything else holding in the lights with no luck. We paddled around for awhile longer and set up shop again on the same lights later in the evening on our trek back to the launch started to no avail.

Caught a decent sized sandie that would have gone back other than the fact it swallowed the hook so bad that it was set through its gills and I knew it wouldn't make it. We came across some really careless boaters that discussed the idea of blasting us with their wake, and cruising by as close as possible.

1:30am- back at the trucks and loading up to go home! I was very pleased with the way the night went and look forward to returning soon. Obviously catching a few more would have been great, but this trout will surely be the best tasting one I've had in a long time! Thanks to everyone that advised me to keep at it, I've decided it wasn't necessarily technique causing my prolonged skunk merely choice in location that I was fishing. Tight lines and good luck to everyone!!

Thanks & Gig'em
Attachments
YakNTex with his red, total of 9 spots
YakNTex with his red, total of 9 spots
Photo on measuring board after being on ice all night...forgot the photo after catch as I was too excited to have landed a good one.
Photo on measuring board after being on ice all night...forgot the photo after catch as I was too excited to have landed a good one.
Launch Photo
Launch Photo
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Tiki Lights 7/9

Post by kickingback »

Good report! Glad you didn't get caught in that south wind. Those lights there around the point are great and another one with two lights on the south side that produce some nice fish when they have them on. Glad you kept the hobby alive!
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

nice report
Coastalonya.

Post by Coastalonya. »

Nice. Way to hang with it and keep the skunk at bay. Love the pic of the rigs at sunset.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Cypress/West Galveston bay/ East Matty/ Mirrolure Pro Staff

Post by troutslinger »

Great report!! Cool pic of the yaks!!
seaaggie_99

Post by seaaggie_99 »

:clap: Way to stick with it JT! Nice report...
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

I am glad you killed that nasty skunk. Keep it up - in the summer, night time is the right time!
Ahart321

Post by Ahart321 »

Nice post.

my friend and I went to another set of lights on the Island and did pretty well also but we had to weed thru a bunch of sand trout.

3 keepers trout on the night.
Yak-n TX

Post by Yak-n TX »

Had a great time JT! Lets do it again sometime! Nice report too.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

did you try live finger mullet?