Rattlesnake point

revriptide

Rattlesnake point

Post by revriptide »

Tried the relatively new launch off of rattlesnake point road. At least it is being maintained well and is an easy launch point. Never fished this launch before. Decided to try it after Ingleside skunked me the day before and the pre-light morning bite at the end of Port Bay road was slow (although one huge trout came all the way out of the water for my topwater and missed). So decided to be adventurous and move to the new launch at about 8am. Wind had me on a perfect drift down a sand and grass flat and I started to get blow ups on top. After several misses decided to switch to an 1/8 ounce jig and bone diamond salt assassin. That increased my hookup ratio. scratched out about 7 keepers all released (I am lazy when it comes to cleaning fish :). Had a big girl on and took a few pics of this fat trout. She made the trip! She fought like a red and had my knees shaking when I saw it was a big trout....I've only caught two trout bigger than this one, it was a thrill for sure.....winds were light, overcast and it was the top end of the first high tide of the day between 8:30 and 10am that the bite occurred. Could have easily done the drift again but at 10 it was slowing down and I had buddies to meet at the Jetty so I headed in. In the right conditions, I'll definitely try that spot again. Attached pics of the big girl to show off a bit :) Tight lines friends! Shout out to Slowride Guide Service, I rented the kayak I'm in for the trip and it was awesome. I highly recommend!

Reese
Attachments
IMG_2604.JPG
IMG_2605.JPG
StevenM
Location: Fredericksburg and Aransas Pass Texas Wilderness Ride 135

Re: Rattlesnake point

Post by StevenM »

Nice trout and report. I've been eyeing that spot for a couple weeks but havens tried it out yet
Thanks for the report
EdK

Post by EdK »

Its a hit and miss area. Gets Fished pretty hard. Night fishing can be good but folks paying 300-600 a night get uppidity if you get up close to their piers, especially if they are imbibing.
Mossyoak20

Post by Mossyoak20 »

heading back to rock port this weekend. any updates?
StevenM

Post by StevenM »

Last week was tough between the crowds and wind, but did find some fish in deeper water areas.This weekend looks windy also
Let me know if your down there .I'll be back down tomorrow night
Mossyoak20

Post by Mossyoak20 »

i'll be heading in town today. where are you gonna be fishing?
StevenM

Post by StevenM »

Not sure yet. Going to check the winds in the morning and make a plan from there.
Thinking about hitting the sandbar on the North end of Brown and Root
vstrom650

Post by vstrom650 »

I rented out a cabin in that area late June, fished Rattlesnake point several times. All we caught were small black drums, a few small trout, and a few small reds. Actually caught a whole lot of the drums, but most were too small to keep. Between me and my son, must have reeled in 25 or more fish, with only 4 keepers.

Talked to some other people and always the same, catching was good, but everything was small small small. Went pier fishing several times and the same thing. Next year I'm not going in June. Maybe earlier in the spring.
Mossyoak20

Post by Mossyoak20 »

Anyone else been out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Littlebear

Post by Littlebear »

Forgive my ignorance but where is Rattlesnake Point?
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

The launch site is at the end of Rattlesnake Point Road next to the entrance to Redfish Lodge. Its a free launch maintained by the Navigation District.
Rattlesnake Point Rd starts at the entrance to Copano Cove subdivision, it is off of FM 1781 as you approach a stop sign with blinking lights.
I can't help you with maps of pics, you might go to Google Earth for an overhead view.
Littlebear

Post by Littlebear »

Thank you sir! I'll check it out!