POC 6-28

da_karr

POC 6-28

Post by da_karr »

Hello all. I don't do a lot of saltwater fishing. But, I did today! I left San Marcos at 3am and was hauling ass towards POC. Got to The Fish Center ramp right before 6..pretty smooth drive, always watching out for the drunks on the backroads though... Launched right at safe light and padded across the IC and started cruising around. I fished some flats that were right off the boating channel and hooked into a good speck, but lost it at the boat. That seemed to be the trend for the day. Those specks sure do give a crazy head shake!!! I noticed a bunch of nervous bait, on the same flat right off of the boating channel. Fished around with a popping cork, threw a top and nada. Made my way west and fished some more flats and nothing. Made my way to a really shallow flat, that was located off of another main channel. My diablo adios got way shallow.. It was pretty cool to be able to stand and sight cast at fish. I saw, and spooked some reds on that shallow flat. Couldn't get anything to hit. I then headed east through the channel, and drifted then entire shore line of this island. I hooked and couldn't land 4 specks. I did land 2 hardheads, which I was certain were reds!! Long story short, the specks shook me off at the boat. Im not new to saltwater, just have been unsuccessful a lot!! Much respect to y'all who have put in the time and have learned all of the ins and out...that shit is tough!! So many variables, coupled with a ton of water to cover..im always lost!! Anyways, I'm trying to learn my way around the salt..I just need to pick a spot and learn it!! On a side note, I love my Diablo Adios..bad ass boat. There are some things I need to add, but as it is, its a bad ass vessel...stay safe!!

PS- the conditions were great..got hot as hell!! Temps when I launched were arpimd 80 and 95 when I got off at 1230...Winds were prob 8-10 mph..not bad at all..water was really dirty right off the intercostal, but I did find some clearer water further away from the IC..

I also watched a mother and juvenile dolphin feeding from up close..pretty cool to watch them circle bait and then crash in on them..They were pretty shallow too..they would go under but the wake that they would make was unreal!! Awesome sight!!
JMS

Re: POC 6-28

Post by JMS »

Sounds like your finding fish and that's half the battle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

nice report
TrailChaser

Post by TrailChaser »

I was the guy in the grey kayak sightcasting reds on the shoreline. I was heading to the flats for the tide change. I ended up with 4 slot reds and one flounder before leaving for the day.(all were released)

If you want a fishing buddy next time just send me a pm and we can exchange contact info.

not2shabby

Post by not2shabby »

Dang TrailChaser. That would be an EPIC tournament red.
da_karr

Post by da_karr »

Hey bud!! Nice fish. Sorry I didnt stop to chat. I was ready to get on back to the vehicle. I saw you fighting that fish!! Nice one!! What were you throwing, if you don't mind me asking? I really liked the area. It is actually one of the closer spots to home for me, Im going to try and learn that area!!
da_karr

Post by da_karr »

Were you able to sight cast pretty easily? I cruised that flat, where you landed that one, and found a lot of nervous bait. My problem is, I don't know when to stay and fish an area and when its time to move. I feel like I dick around too much on spots when I should be on the move more. Oh well, I have a lot to learn!! I will definitely hit up next time I head that way!! Shit, might make it down that way tomorrow or this weekend!
TrailChaser

Post by TrailChaser »

I'll be there tomorrow with TxVike. You're welcome to join us.

When I'm sightcasting I try to keep moving. That usually means I spook some of them when they see me first, but that's a good gamble when you could literally sit in a spot and never see one, only to find there were several just chillin a few yards away that you spook on the way out of the area. Lots of times when I spook one I'll park in the grass and just stay dead still with my rod in hand ready to cast at the first sign, about half the time they will come back or at least cruise by to see what's up. The water is pretty deep out there compared to some of the flats I fish. The deeper the water the more the advantage the fish has.
As for what I was using...I've been throwing a secret lure that was invented by one of the most well known and respected inshore fisherman on this earth right now. Too bad I can't tell you more about it or even who invented it. All I can say, is that it'll be a game changer once it hits the market. You might catch a glimpse of it tomorrow if you fish with us.(I'm probably going to get chewed out for spilling this much, but you asked)
da_karr

Post by da_karr »

That flat looked nice. I assumed there would be some fish there. I am off tomorrow, but I more than likely won't be able to make it all the way down there. It wasnt a terrible drive, but it will wear you out!! I definitely plan on being down there again soon. Do you live in the area? I appreciate the invite too.
da_karr

Post by da_karr »

Have you ever fished the Port Lavaca area? Its the closest area to me, was curious how the fishing was in that area??
TrailChaser

Post by TrailChaser »

da_karr wrote:Have you ever fished the Port Lavaca area? Its the closest area to me, was curious how the fishing was in that area??
I haven't done much fishing in port lavaca. The little I have done wasn't great. North of town is Six Mile Park. I launch from there to paddle into the placedo/garcitas creeks. There's really good fishing in there when the water is right.

Have you checked out Indianola? It's a great place to fish pretty much all year. It's got a little bit of all the different inshore fishing structures all in one area. Marsh, oyster reef, deep channels, grass flats, and sand flats. You can target all the inshore species at their different hangouts and never get more than a mile away from your launch site. Even on the smallest tidal movement the water moves nicely thru that area.
da_karr

Post by da_karr »

I have heard of it..Ill check it out. Im wanting to find a place that is close to home and good fishing. POC is pretty close and hopefully once I figure it out, it will be good fishing too!!
Karyuu

Post by Karyuu »

Point comfort, olivia and port alto are great places to fish.