Radar Gap Fishing 6/2

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Radar Gap Fishing 6/2

Post by karstopo »

This is where I'm at now. Taking little glances at the radar hoping for a fishing window. The morning has me driving through the blinding rain chasing down flood plain build up zones and requirements less than a mile from the all time record flooding Brazos River. I decided then and there I had plumbed some new depth of hell. But I was enjoying it, enjoying the drive.

Wife wants me at lunch to test drive a car she has her eye on. Nothing hellish about negotiating a car purchase. But I enjoyed that, her company, the works. "Look, honey, there is blue sky!", she says. It's a sliver of cerulean not two percent of the sky. I knew then I was going fishing today.

Crazy fiendish worker man got all his projects and chores and test drives done and by 2:30 I was loaded up and off to the bay. The blue sky was gone, the wind and water were high and I realized this was going to be survival fishing. Hunker down, stay close to the launch and keep an eye to the south from where all the weather was coming. It was protected water leeward shoreline fishing or nothing at all. I wanted a flounder for the table or a tagged red. I got the flounder. I see the fish leap after some bait right against a reef infested bank. This was no job for a fly rod considering my right casting shoulder is damaged goods and the cast would be into the teeth of the wind. I had a hard time putting a DSL roach tail into the slot between the shell. The seventh or eighth cast I get the thump, pause, set the hook. Fish goes a little shy of 18". In the ice bag.

I try a little left hand fly casting. It's truly terrible in this wind. Somehow, I manage to get a cast far enough to dredge up a tiny red and a slightly less petite drum. I decide to test my right shoulder. It's getting better, but I don't push it. Another really tiny red comes to hand before I shut the right side down. Another flounder flips, but I can't get this one to commit.

The southern horizon has turned dark. There is a distant rumble of thunder. It's time to head in. I drive home in the blinding rain, change shirts and go buy a car. Scale and clean the fish. Stuffed flounder tonight, now that's exciting.
TexanBrewer

Re: Radar Gap Fishing 6/2

Post by TexanBrewer »

I'm jealous.

I'm forced to watch my kayak dry rot as work, weather and family all conspire against any salt therapy. I'd say that means the fish are safe but I'm all too well aware of being on the upward side of a learning curve. What a fun curve it is, though.

Thanks for taking the time to report.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Thank you, Texan Brewer. The flounder encounter sticks out as the highlight of my water time. When I saw the fish breach, my first thought was to pass on by. I had another spot I was heading and I don't always have luck with flounder when they show themselves like this one did.

The fish was really challenging me to a duel. I had, as a point of honor, to take up the challenge. This time I won.
Icetrey

Post by Icetrey »

That's awesome. I potentially looking to use the same method today or for sure tomorrow; finding a window of opportunity to head to the Galveston area.
StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

I know how you feel trying to squeeze in fishing trips. My falls are usually really busy so I'm going to try and enjoy my summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flykool25

Post by flykool25 »

my hats off to you. Lots of times my mind wants to go . but for some reason I stay home. Well you went and caught fish and a car all in the same day . :clap: :clap: . if you want someone to go last minute plans I am game since I fish Christmas and drum bay . I can PM you my cell if you like .
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

flykool25 wrote:my hats off to you. Lots of times my mind wants to go . but for some reason I stay home. Well you went and caught fish and a car all in the same day . :clap: :clap: . if you want someone to go last minute plans I am game since I fish Christmas and drum bay . I can PM you my cell if you like .

Send them on. I'm mostly an afternoon fisherman. Gets a little hot about this time of year, but there are still days that work.