Memorial Day Marsh Reds

Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Memorial Day Marsh Reds

Post by Coachsmills »

CalbertD and I left the Galveston area on Memorial day morning to hit the marsh and avoid the large crowds of boaters, jet skiers, and beach people. We launched at little after 6:15 and made our way into the marsh, hoping to get a little topwater redfish action. Being Memorial Day and all, I decided to go with the American flag she pup and caught a few nice reds on it. David stuck with the super spook jr. to catch all of his fish. Still lots of freshwater around and obviously more on the way. We saw several large gar, a couple of gators, and lots of grass growing where it normally doesn't. We had a good time and I was able put a few fish in the freezer

We had an extremely slow incoming tide and zero wind the entire day. We focused on working the edges of the submerged grass, various drains, and any little pinch that might help with water flow to catch he majority of our fish.
Attachments
Photo May 30.jpeg
David 5.jpg
Photo May 30 copy.jpeg
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Memorial Day Marsh Reds

Post by Coachsmills »

More pics
Attachments
Photo May 30-3.jpeg
Photo May 30-4.jpeg
David 7.jpg
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

Great pics! Thanks for sharing.
Trip214

Post by Trip214 »

Awesome pics! Looks like a great way to spend Memorial Day.
seaaggieyak

Post by seaaggieyak »

Looks like a fun day on the water. Great pics, what camera do you use? (watch it be an iPhone)
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

seaaggieyak wrote:Looks like a fun day on the water. Great pics, what camera do you use? (watch it be an iPhone)
Ha ha. Not an iPhone. The pictures of David are taken with my camera which is an older Nikon D40 with an upgraded 70-300mm lens. The pics of me were taken with David's camera. Not sure what he has, but it's pretty nice one also.
seaaggieyak

Post by seaaggieyak »

That's a nice rig for salt water! That explains the great pics. I have a similar Canon set-up but am afraid to put it in the boat. Maybe some day. I bought a Fujifilm Finepix XP80 waterproof camera. The family uses it for snorkeling and it takes pretty good pics (for anyone interested).

Thank you for the info Coach.
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

seaaggieyak wrote:That's a nice rig for salt water! That explains the great pics. I have a similar Canon set-up but am afraid to put it in the boat. Maybe some day. I bought a Fujifilm Finepix XP80 waterproof camera. The family uses it for snorkeling and it takes pretty good pics (for anyone interested).

Thank you for the info Coach.
Yeah, it's a little scary at times. I keep mine in a waterproof box like the one in the link below and make sure to put the strap around my neck when I pull it out. So far, no problems.

http://www.earplugstore.com/pro-ears-storage-case.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bigun
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Vidor,TX...FTU Pro Staff...Native Watercraft Pro Staff

Post by bigun »

Man I would love to get on some fish like those, maybe some day I'll find that magical spot that's holding fish like those

:D
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

bigun wrote:Man I would love to get on some fish like those, maybe some day I'll find that magical spot that's holding fish like those

:D
Those are actually plastic molds of redfish used for photos. Truthfully, we caught no fish.
pandocalrissian

Post by pandocalrissian »

ive been seeing gar too. love that patriotic plug. thanks for the report.
CalbertD

Post by CalbertD »

seaaggieyak wrote:Looks like a fun day on the water. Great pics, what camera do you use? (watch it be an iPhone)
Mine is a Sony a6000 mirrorless
seaaggieyak

Post by seaaggieyak »

Mine is a Sony a6000 mirrorless
Sony makes a great camera, I have a buddy that takes magazine quality photos with his.

Yeah, it's a little scary at times. I keep mine in a waterproof box like the one in the link below and make sure to put the strap around my neck when I pull it out. So far, no problems.

http://www.earplugstore.com/pro-ears-storage-case.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's what that box was on the back of your kayak. I work in environmental science and some of our water quality meters are kept in similar boxes. I thought you might have been conducting some sort of study. Thanks for the link, that's a good price for that case. Good idea to put the strap on first thing. When I get the nerve to take my camera out that will be the first time I turtle.

I enjoy y'alls pics, please keep them coming. Unfortunately that means y'all will have to fish more.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Coachsmills wrote:Those are actually plastic molds of redfish used for photos. Truthfully, we caught no fish.
Looking back on the pics I can see that now. Nice touch to lower the fin in some to change the appearance. A recommendation - take some black spots with you so that you can change the look of the tail. :lol:
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

awesome post! beautiful lure....one of those shots needs to be framed
Big Perm
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Big Perm »

Those pics should be in a brochure somewhere. Good job.