Galveston Causeway

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Galveston Causeway

Post by kickingback »

Took my new Hobie PA 14 to Galveston bay near Tiki Island and was fortunate enough to land 5 nice trout. Largest was 20". They were biting under lights real well on the incoming tide. The tide changed at midnight and the bite stopped. Was a good evening even with a lot of people out for the end of the Memorial Day weekend. It was actually nice to have all nice people at the ramp and in the water with no wakes or idiots going crazy. If you plan on going out make sure to check the tides and go when the tide is either going in full or out full. That's when the bait is stirred up int he water and the trout bite better. Of course there's rain all week so maybe next week.

MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Re: Galveston Causeway

Post by MobyYack »

nice post! no red or flounder? were u using gulp?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

No reds anywhere I could find. The flounder were not hitting anything on bottom that I dragged either. I used gulp and live shrimp under a popping cork. Kept the gulp on longer for more catches but live shrimp was best. Did bottom rig but no takers. :D
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

Im curious why that didnt work in that area. Im going to start a thread on which rigs/bait work best for different species ...i usually get flounder on gulp (color depend on conditions) with weight dragging the bottom and circle hook in nose of gulp about three feet above weight...I have no way of keeping shrimp alive on my kayak
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

The Causeway can be a great place to fish but very iffy to fish on the bottom. There is so much stuff on the bottom that it is easy to get hung up and loose whatever you are fishing with to Davy Jones. I've seen people anchor up there and had to cut line due to not able to free up. Gulp can be an expensive way to fish off of the bottom if you want to risk losing your weighted hooks or Gulps. I'm not saying it can't be done. Eitherway, good luck out there and I am sure I will see quite a few of y'all out there as I fish there too on occasion.