Jamaica beach report night /day trip

Floundapounda122

Jamaica beach report night /day trip

Post by Floundapounda122 »

I headed out to Jamaica beach Friday night for a night/day trip.

Night report: I headed out in the canals at about 8:30 with live shrimp and soft plastics. The lights were mostly dead until I got to the main channel of the canal. I pulled up to the first light on the main channel and saw 3 shadows. I quietly casted a shrimp in the light. About 3 seconds later, BAM spec on. Got him to the boat, measured him, he would keep, put him in the cooler and moved on. After that the bite was slow. I caught a rat red at the mouth of the canal but that was about it for the night. I packed up and left at about 12.

Day report: I headed at about 7( I stayed at a hotel on the seawall) to the marsh to the left of Jamaica beach since SLP was packed with waders. I started out throwing live shrimp under a popping cork with little success only catching one rat red. I switched to a ttf killer flats minnow pumpkinseed chartreuse, and immediately hooked up on a 18" red. I was pumped, but after that everything went south. I had 3 keeper redfish get off at the boat, and then found out my hook was dull. I also remembered I had to be back at the house by 1 and it was 11:30 so I called it a day and headed in. It was great to get back on the water even though I didn't get the results I was hoping for.
Attachments
17" spec
17" spec
adanvjr

Re: Jamaica beach report night /day trip

Post by adanvjr »

Nice report.
At least you got to go back out.
It's been almost 3 months since I last gone (doing weekend side work since I had to take a paycut)

Sucks you lost those good fish.
I had to learn the hard way too.
Now, if I lose a fish, I immediately check my hooks. I've had been some that were dull as a ballpoint pen after just 2-3 hooksets.
YakMack

Post by YakMack »

The Specs were hitting the Jamaica Beach surf on Friday. Some Reds came in, too. Caught 3 of them from 11pm Friday to 7am Saturday. 39"-42".
Attachments
IMG_1310.JPG
IMG_1255.JPG
potlicker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by potlicker »

YakMack wrote:The Specs were hitting the Jamaica Beach surf on Friday. Some Reds came in, too. Caught 3 of them from 11pm Friday to 7am Saturday. 39"-42".
what did you catch the specks on?
YakMack

Post by YakMack »

Specs were hitting hard on live shrimp dragged on the bottom in the surf and on popping corks - early Friday morning and again in the afternoon. I tried Saturday morning and nothing....so I moved to Yates and finally Sabine.