Causeway Bridge Night Lights

catastrophy

Causeway Bridge Night Lights

Post by catastrophy »

Bite was slow, but the fish were good. All fish were between 17-18". Made for a great Easter fish fry!

Had to discard some filets, looked like some sort of worm in them. Can anyone confirm?
Attachments
2Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG
jgj5533

Re: Causeway Bridge Night Lights

Post by jgj5533 »

Congrats on the fish. Those are worms and if you look close a lot of your keeper trout will have some. They aren't harmful to eat and you probably won't even notice them after cooking.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Worms are common and completely harmless. Don't tell anyone about them and they'll never know.
catastrophy

Post by catastrophy »

Yea, if I told the wife she would never eat fish again. I decided to keep it to myself
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I find those spaghetti worms in trout often. If they are clustered in one spot of the fillet, I'll do a little vermin ectomy. Most of the time, they go in the grease with the rest of the fish. I can't remember seeing them in redfish. Black drum, bigger fish, are prone to those parasites too. Seems like I read that the worms mature in sharks after the shark consumes an infested fish.

I believe the cooking process destroys the parasite. I don't think I would recommend trout sashimi, but I'm no sushi expert. I believe most reputable restaurant sashimi is flash frozen to destroy potential parasites and made from fish not prone to parasites. Cerviche uses a strong acid solution to cure the fish and I bet it would take out the worm. Let's say the parasite survived all of the above and was ingested alive, I doubt humans are a suitable host, but you never know and I don't want to be the guinea pig to test this out.

Nice mess of trout.
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Cypress/West Galveston bay/ East Matty/ Mirrolure Pro Staff

Post by troutslinger »

Nice trout. The worms are harmless.
catastrophy

Post by catastrophy »

If they haven't been named yet, i think sperm worm has a nice ring to it, and seems physically fitting
vw4fun

Post by vw4fun »

If your who I think you are I parked next to you early that morning. I went another direction and you did a whole lot better than I did. Congrats on a nice haul.
catastrophy

Post by catastrophy »

Naw when I left the place was empty. This was from a few days prior to Easter Sunday - Thursday night before
TrailChaser

Post by TrailChaser »

catastrophy wrote:If they haven't been named yet, i think sperm worm has a nice ring to it, and seems physically fitting
Since they are eaten on a regular basis by humans... I like their original name "Spaghetti Worms" or Poecilancistrium caryophyllum.

Their goal in life is to be eaten by a shark... :shock: Once that happens they grow crazy long(8") and start laying eggs to complete the cycle of life.

I'm not sure if my potential lunch had spaghetti worms, but if it did they were successful. Image
MachewTexas

Post by MachewTexas »

Ive heard of those, but don't keep enough trout to see them. Thanks for sharing the pics.
MachewTexas

Post by MachewTexas »

I did a quick search and found an LSU article
http://www.seagrantfish.lsu.edu/resourc ... /07-07.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

True about safe to eat. Essentially the less polluted the water, the more likely a trout will host the worm. I guess that could be a selling point for the worm fear. :?
volyak

Post by volyak »

The Texas Parks & Wildlife saltwater fishing pamphlet describes these worms in Speckled Trout and confirms they are harmless to eat. I usually pull them out if not too many, but I'm sure I miss a few and they get eaten with the rest of the fish.