Finally Back in the Yak

Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Finally Back in the Yak

Post by Coachsmills »

It's been about 3 months since the last time my kayak touched water. Work, my kids, and other obligations have kept me from fishing all winter long, so I was badly needing a little saltwater therapy.

CalbertD and I met at the launch around 6:45 and made the short paddle to our spot. With the warmer weather and low tides we had high hopes of sightcasting our fish. The problem was, 99% of the fish we came across were laid up and not moving. The only way we knew they were around, was by the insane amount of mud boils that kept popping up in front of us. We took our time, fan casting the area near all the mud boils and caught a handful of fish. Later in the day, we found a few fish actively feeding along the shoreline, but the action didn't last too long.

Soft mud and partially exposed patches of shell were the key to locating fish. The only lures we caught them on were the Buggs 1/4 oz. Beastie Bugg (New Penny) and Buggs 1/4 oz. Curl Tail (Black Gold). Later that evening, while cleaning fish, I found a few 1" mud minnows in their stomachs, which explained why the Buggs worked so well when the cork, topwater, spinner bait, and plastic didn't.

txbrett

Re: Finally Back in the Yak

Post by txbrett »

Looks like a productive day. Uhhhh, you're in a Tarpon 140??? What happened to the Cuda?
FingerMullet

Post by FingerMullet »

It's good to see that the Reds welcome you back..
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

txbrett wrote:Looks like a productive day. Uhhhh, you're in a Tarpon 140??? What happened to the Cuda?
I still have it. I just took that Tarpon 140 out for the heck of it. I'll definitely be back in my Cuda next time. My lower back wasn't happy after about 2 hours in it.
hillbillie

Post by hillbillie »

Back on the water, back on the fish, and wearing a PFD!!!!! OK your back my Hero.

Have A Blessed Week
Rockclimber

Post by Rockclimber »

Great photos- love the bent rod shots!
Rockclimber

Post by Rockclimber »

Great photos- love the bent rod shots!