Trout + Trout + Trout + . . .

YakRunabout

Trout + Trout + Trout + . . .

Post by YakRunabout »

I went with Drifting Yak yesterday afternoon to a channel that we had been to a couple of times recently. The last time I was through here I caught nothing and had no bites. The trip before I caught a flounder and 5 trout (all undersized) within a half hour, followed by nothing.

This time I had no rapid fire bites but instead just steady action for the full 3.5 hours that we were in the area getting 19 fish into the boat. These were all trout from 13” to 18”, mostly on the smaller side, with one rat red right about sunset. 8 of these came home with me. All were caught on a gulp jerk shad. I had some other lures that I had planned to try but never changed since I was getting 5-6 fish in the boat each hour. This was a PB day for me for fish count into the kayak – 21 in total including a couple of rat reds outside the channel area.

Mike landed the largest fish of the day early on with a 21” trout. He did try some other lures through the day but kept coming back to the gulp since I kept reporting more fish in the boat.

We had cool temps and clear skies when we launched and a bit of a breeze to cool it off more, but not cold. Great weather to be on the water. The breeze kept a bit of ripple on the surface. The tide was way, way low. Some normally shallow areas were now mud, other areas not very mirage drive friendly. The productive channel area was 3’ – 5’ deep. Water was 59 degrees and fairly clear.
Some sample pics -

Enjoy your next outing -
Attachments
P2101453.JPG
P2101467.JPG
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Trout + Trout + Trout + . . .

Post by Drifting Yak »

It's been pretty slow for us this winter but all of the time on the water finally paid off yesterday. Over 30 specs caught!
Here's the 21 incher along with a nice sunset.
Mike Spec.JPG
DSCN1546.JPG
What a hoot!!
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

WTG guys...............good winter fishing trip!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Doesn't it seem like the low winter water concentrates fish? Find them, find a lot. Nice report. I like this time of year. It's comfortable, no heat exhaustion to deal with, less crowds.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Doesn't it seem like the low winter water concentrates fish? Find them, find a lot. Nice report. I like this time of year. It's comfortable, no heat exhaustion to deal with, less crowds.
Is it a normal thing to get lower tides in the winter? I have seen a lot of beach exposed at Galveston recently. Is this low tides plus north winds?

I also like this weather much better, even if you have to bundle up. One aspect that surprises me is that in winter I am not drinking enough. In the summer I am sweating up a storm and drinking a lot to replace it. In the winter I am not getting as thirsty plus do not notice the sweating since it evaporates in the dry air. I have to force myself to drink more or I get back to the launch with a headache.
mike67

Post by mike67 »

Glad you guys got into 'em, and into 'em good. Congratulations.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Awesome day out on the water!! Way to get into some good fishing. :)
SuperShane

Post by SuperShane »

Need to get out with you guys again.