Bastrop bayou 1/24/16

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Bastrop bayou 1/24/16

Post by karstopo »

I get to the launch just before midday. Brilliant sunshine, muddy water and substantial wind greet me. Anything that isn't obviously life threatening is okay by me, so off I paddle slowly upwind and downstream. Eventually, I duck in behind a high bank and sound for depth with my paddle and stab a big fish. Fish found, let's fish here.

My tuxedo Cocahoe, a better clear water bait, gets me nothing fishy. The wind is right, or right enough, for the fly rod. I dredge up a trout on a silver slider. It violently head shakes pretty much
the whole fight. Funny where trout will turn up. This one was in no more than 2 feet of murky water over deep mud. I try the area some more with the same fly and a purple over white bait fish streamer but the fish aren't taking.

Back into the wind and waves I paddle. I'm looking for protection from the wind and fish. I find the leeward shore. This time I lead with the fly rod, but after repeated efforts I get only a short strike. I trade the whip for something a little shorter and stiffer. Something is bothering mullet a long down and cross wind cast from my position. I make the cast. I get the thump. I set the hook. On nothing, wait, the fish has jetted towards me, reel in the slack, now set the hook, that's better. This fish has plenty of attitude and stamina. Eventually, I get the net under a fat pig of a red that goes 25".

My trip has reached apogee. I sail and paddle with the wind. I'm satisfied, beyond satisfied, with another wholly unique afternoon out.
Attachments
IMAG0013_1.jpg
surfpunk
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Bastrop bayou 1/24/16

Post by surfpunk »

I'm going to have to learn the fly rod one of these days.
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Cypress/West Galveston bay/ East Matty/ Mirrolure Pro Staff

Post by troutslinger »

surfpunk wrote:I'm going to have to learn the fly rod one of these days.
Same here!!! Great report!!!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

It was one of those days that I caught a fish early into the trip and thought I was about to get on a pattern but it turns out I really wasn't.

The weird thing about the fly fishing is that I was, that day, just getting my work in. I had already fan cast a paddle tail in the same spot. The water there had a foot of visibilty at best. My preconceptions were that flies were made for realitively clear water fishing or close shots at tailing fish, but so many times, I've caught good fish, multiples of good fish at times, just pulling a good fly pattern through murky or stained water.

I can't sustain a whole day of prospecting with the fly rod. I always have one baitcaster in the rocket launcher behind my left shoulder. Sometimes I take an additional baitcaster, but I have to lay it flat and secure with the shock cord behind me. The fly rod sits nicely with the butt wedged in my folded lower seat ( I never sit in this seat) and at 8 feet, the tip of the rod goes to the tip of the bow. I've had several kayaks with different configurations, but this is my favorite by far.
Reel Yakkers

Post by Reel Yakkers »

David I must have just missed you. I fished earlier when the winds were calm. I took my fly rod but never picked it up. Until I get a bit more profficient it's gonna be hard for me to use it as my first choice.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Reel Yakkers wrote:David I must have just missed you. I fished earlier when the winds were calm. I took my fly rod but never picked it up. Until I get a bit more profficient it's gonna be hard for me to use it as my first choice.
I launched at Captain Mark's Bastrop Marina. You might have been more downstream than me. Was the water pretty clear where you were? I found some decent water at my last stop. The wind kind of funnels down certain stretches and it seemed to calm a bit as the day progressed.

Sometimes, I just fish likely looking areas with the fly rod. Places I see bait that seem nervous or along drop offs and reefs or proven areas. It strengthens your casting and it is way more fun than practicing in the yard. I take my bait casting rig because I get tired eventually of fly casting. When I first fly fished, I'd do about 15 minutes of casting then go conventional and maybe repeat a couple of times. I'm just a fair fly caster, I don't double haul worth a flip and I get a little too excited, messing up my timing, sometimes sight casting to fish. When I first started, I had a hard time casting much beyond 40-45 feet. Part of that was very bad line that came with a reel. Anyway, I just had to commit to fly fishing and not worry too much about results. Truth be told, I'm more than pleased with what I catch on the fly. My results far exceed my expectations. I have a lot of confidence in it and that makes me fish better with it. Now it's another weapon in my quiver. Sometimes, it's my best option and sometimes it doesn't make sense based on conditions, obstructions, etc.
Reel Yakkers

Post by Reel Yakkers »

karstopo wrote:
Reel Yakkers wrote:David I must have just missed you. I fished earlier when the winds were calm. I took my fly rod but never picked it up. Until I get a bit more profficient it's gonna be hard for me to use it as my first choice.
I launched at Captain Mark's Bastrop Marina. You might have been more downstream than me. Was the water pretty clear where you were? I found some decent water at my last stop. The wind kind of funnels down certain stretches and it seemed to calm a bit as the day progressed.

Sometimes, I just fish likely looking areas with the fly rod. Places I see bait that seem nervous or along drop offs and reefs or proven areas. It strengthens your casting and it is way more fun than practicing in the yard. I take my bait casting rig because I get tired eventually of fly casting. When I first fly fished, I'd do about 15 minutes of casting then go conventional and maybe repeat a couple of times. I'm just a fair fly caster, I don't double haul worth a flip and I get a little too excited, messing up my timing, sometimes sight casting to fish. When I first started, I had a hard time casting much beyond 40-45 feet. Part of that was very bad line that came with a reel. Anyway, I just had to commit to fly fishing and not worry too much about results. Truth be told, I'm more than pleased with what I catch on the fly. My results far exceed my expectations. I have a lot of confidence in it and that makes me fish better with it. Now it's another weapon in my quiver. Sometimes, it's my best option and sometimes it doesn't make sense based on conditions, obstructions, etc.
I was a bit further downstream. Launched at Clays Bank. The first bend on the north side of the bayou had relatively clear water. The reds were catching some sun early.

What I am going to have to do is just commit to taking only my fly rod and whatever happens happens.
Mddauby

Post by Mddauby »

Reel Yakkers wrote:
karstopo wrote:

I was a bit further downstream. Launched at Clays Bank. The first bend on the north side of the bayou had relatively clear water. The reds were catching some sun early.

What I am going to have to do is just commit to taking only my fly rod and whatever happens happens.

You must be Ben; it was good to meet you out there. Sure was chilly early that morning. I kept heading back to the truck despite feeling like the fish might heat up the longer the sun was out. How did you do paddling back through that first channel a second go round?

I decided to force my own hand by only having the buggy whip on deck. I also feel like that's the only way I'm going to be as good as I want to be. Reading your reports, Karstopo, is partially what's inspiring me to use that fly rod more. Sure would be fun to get really good with that thing. It definitely holds me back in quick reaction moments, though. When I spook a fish and need to flip that fly out in front, I'm way too slow on the draw.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

You must be Ben; it was good to meet you out there. Sure was chilly early that morning. I kept heading back to the truck despite feeling like the fish might heat up the longer the sun was out. How did you do paddling back through that first channel a second go round?

I decided to force my own hand by only having the buggy whip on deck. I also feel like that's the only way I'm going to be as good as I want to be. Reading your reports, Karstopo, is partially what's inspiring me to use that fly rod more. Sure would be fun to get really good with that thing. It definitely holds me back in quick reaction moments, though. When I spook a fish and need to flip that fly out in front, I'm way too slow on the draw.[/quote]

I focus more on bait being harassed than sighted predator fish. It seems I rarely get out when conditions favor sight casting. Basically, I fish like I have with my conventional gear. Look for sign and make the cast. Sight casting to a tailing or backing red or other fish is the peak of the experience, but it's still a bunch of fun when you see a mullet or two flip in a spot or see shad flying from a place and you make your cast and get the take. If I had to wait on strictly sighted fish, I'd almost never get a shot off.

I'd say fish sign. Spend 15 minutes casting what you think is a good spot. Go back to your old gear for a time then back to the fly. All that practice will help you with casting, line management, things like that. Find a beach or firm sand and cast standing up.

Oh, and I struggle with a pod of reds cruising a shoreline or red suddenly appearing. Sighted fish quickens my stroke and I make bad casts. I bet I connect with one in three or worse of sighted fish. Sometimes, I make multiple quality shots at a fish that just doesn't care and eventually slowly swims away. I've got way more to learn than what I have already figured out.
Ripper

Post by Ripper »

Did u go left or right out of marina?
Reel Yakkers

Post by Reel Yakkers »

Mddauby wrote:You must be Ben; it was good to meet you out there. Sure was chilly early that morning. I kept heading back to the truck despite feeling like the fish might heat up the longer the sun was out. How did you do paddling back through that first channel a second go round?
Good to meet you Matt. I paddled back through that gut and had fast a furious trout action for about 30 minutes or so. All trout went from around 13 to 16 inches. I actually left them biting but decided to head back in to catch the game.

Karstopos post also inspired me a bit to keep at it with the fly rod. Practice, practice, practice.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Ripper wrote:Did u go left or right out of marina?
I've always gone right. Not sure what is left.
Mddauby

Post by Mddauby »

karstopo wrote:
I focus more on bait being harassed than sighted predator fish. It seems I rarely get out when conditions favor sight casting. Basically, I fish like I have with my conventional gear. Look for sign and make the cast. Sight casting to a tailing or backing red or other fish is the peak of the experience, but it's still a bunch of fun when you see a mullet or two flip in a spot or see shad flying from a place and you make your cast and get the take. If I had to wait on strictly sighted fish, I'd almost never get a shot off.

I'd say fish sign. Spend 15 minutes casting what you think is a good spot. Go back to your old gear for a time then back to the fly. All that practice will help you with casting, line management, things like that. Find a beach or firm sand and cast standing up.

Oh, and I struggle with a pod of reds cruising a shoreline or red suddenly appearing. Sighted fish quickens my stroke and I make bad casts. I bet I connect with one in three or worse of sighted fish. Sometimes, I make multiple quality shots at a fish that just doesn't care and eventually slowly swims away. I've got way more to learn than what I have already figured out.
Good stuff man. I definitely passed up several potential opportunities to cast towards disturbed bait. Especially when I first got out, it sounded like trout popping the top everywhere. Died down by about 7:30, but they were hot and heavy for awhile. I don't know why, but I had it in my head I was looking to sight cast reds...Hell or high water. Probably should have flicked a streamer out just to see.
Mddauby

Post by Mddauby »

Reel Yakkers wrote:
Mddauby wrote:You must be Ben; it was good to meet you out there. Sure was chilly early that morning. I kept heading back to the truck despite feeling like the fish might heat up the longer the sun was out. How did you do paddling back through that first channel a second go round?
Good to meet you Matt. I paddled back through that gut and had fast a furious trout action for about 30 minutes or so. All trout went from around 13 to 16 inches. I actually left them biting but decided to head back in to catch the game.

Karstopos post also inspired me a bit to keep at it with the fly rod. Practice, practice, practice.
Well played brother. Next time I'll probably follow you back through the gut :lol:

Great first game, btw.