Redfish!

Tombo

Redfish!

Post by Tombo »

The way I fish is paddle until something stops me. This time my plan was to fish a small narrow channel going into a flat. On my way I stopped to check out another marsh drain with no action, this was about 10:00.
Arrived at my flat next to the drain and found nothing. Week before I caught four Reds slowly dragging the bottom with a jig head and Redfish Magic spinner bait.
Paddled down this channel until it opened up to a small lake. Only saw one Redfish which I spooked.
About 1PM I stopped at the first small channel I checked on earlier. Saw some wakes and heard some Reds crashing baitfish on the shore.
First cast with the spinner bait yielded a spit hook. Cast back to same spot and same fish nailed the lure. This fish was about 26" and pulled me around.
Went back to the other smaller channel next to the one I just caught a fish on and was hooked up again. Same Redfish Magic spinner lure. This fish pulled me into the channel and around a sharp bend where my hook pulled out. Decided to check out this smaller, narrower channel that empties into a small duck pond.
I could see wakes on the sides of said channel, all these fish were headed out with the tide. At one point I dropped the spinner in front of a wake with another hook up. This fish took off back upstream as My kayak blocked its exit. This was a bigger fish as it took drag until it spit the hook after turning a sharp bend.
Conditions:
Partly clouded skies, low winds from the NE and outside temps in the 60's.
All fish were hooked between 12:30 and 2:30 PM. Tide was falling. Earlier when I launched there was very little tide movement.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Redfish!

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Sounds like a carbon copy of my last trip. Redfish luuuuvvvv spinnerbaits.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I likey. And I thought spinner baits were only for fresh water fish. Those are big fish. Have you ever tried a mepps or rooster tail?
Coastalonya.

Post by Coastalonya. »

Great report. I was on a recent trip to Lake Charles. I stopped off just across the border to visit friends at a duck camp. They all had full stringers of reds, some in the 25-28" range. All of them were using tan beetle spins from the local Exxon store!!
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Pretty cool Mr. Tombo! Pretty cool!
Gofish!
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Gofish! »

Tombo wrote:The way I fish is paddle until something stops me.
When fishing for shallow water reds, this is the best advice anyone could give. 8)
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

Way to go Tombo. Seems like the winter is all about finding moving water at a time when the sun has had a chance to warm the flats some. Lots of fish around but they can be hard to catch. That crystal clear water kind of makes it more difficult too, I think.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Gofish! wrote:
Tombo wrote:The way I fish is paddle until something stops me.
When fishing for shallow water reds, this is the best advice anyone could give. 8)
Might be the sentence of the season