Christmas Bay 01/07 and 01/10

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Christmas Bay 01/07 and 01/10

Post by karstopo »

Got out to the South side Of the Bay Thursday Afternoon. Water was clear and high and rising. Wind was almost dead calm. Paddled to a reef and picked up a couple dozen oysters for the table. Lots of mullet were around and I decided to fish the same reef with a tuxedo tail. Picked up 5 reds slowly bouncing the tail along the margins.

Went back out yesterday after church. Water had dropped a solid 2 feet since Thursday. Clarity had dropped a foot and a half too from a steady North wind. Picked up another 4 dozen oysters. Fished an Assassin paddle tail in the opening night color scheme. Fished deeper water flowing over a reef. Picked up 3 trout, 16-18", on the fall. Moved on and into the bay and fished a muddy hole where I saw a mullet flip, picked up a red on first go around and a 21" trout on the second, these fish and the 3 trout earlier I released. Saw another mullet flip 100 yards away and I paddle over but got no hook ups. Came on home well before sundown to shuck some shell. Fried some of them up and they went faster than the redfish. En brochette on the menu tonight. BTW, it is so worth it to buy oysters, but its fun to get your own too.
UTfishrman

Re: Christmas Bay 01/07 and 01/10

Post by UTfishrman »

My brother and I fished the old ICW between Drum and Christmas yesterday afternoon hoping the deeper water would be hiding some fish - no such luck. Could not find any bait movement at all, glad you were able to do better than us!
adanvjr

Post by adanvjr »

UTfishrman wrote:My brother and I fished the old ICW between Drum and Christmas yesterday afternoon hoping the deeper water would be hiding some fish - no such luck. Could not find any bait movement at all, glad you were able to do better than us!

I've only been to the ICW at Drum/Christmas once.
From what I've seen, the bottom is mainly gravel, no mud.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Now I want oysters. Dammit.
Finfisher2

Post by Finfisher2 »

Great report as usual Karstopo
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Cypress/West Galveston bay/ East Matty/ Mirrolure Pro Staff

Post by troutslinger »

Great report.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Nice haul! A pitcher of beer would round off a perfect day on the water (with oysters no less)!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I shucked a bunch for the fry. My wife pulled an audible on me so tonight it's oyster stew instead of en brochette. I left another bunch unshucked. They stay alive at least a week in the shell if you store them in the vegetable drawer of the fridge. The wife isn't exactly pumped about having live marine organisms in her fridge.
Attachments
0111161611-1.jpg
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

UTfishrman wrote:My brother and I fished the old ICW between Drum and Christmas yesterday afternoon hoping the deeper water would be hiding some fish - no such luck. Could not find any bait movement at all, glad you were able to do better than us!
I remember seeing a couple of men, maybe 1pm or so, walking the reef there fishing just as it comes into Christmas Bay. I came below them or you a couple of reefs towards the beach or south shoreline. I was oyster hunting at the time and poling along while seated in my Orange Commander.
UTfishrman

Post by UTfishrman »

karstopo wrote:
I remember seeing a couple of men, maybe 1pm or so, walking the reef there fishing just as it comes into Christmas Bay. I came below them or you a couple of reefs towards the beach or south shoreline. I was oyster hunting at the time and poling along while seated in my Orange Commander.

That was us - will be sure to flag you down the next time our paths cross!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

UTfishrman wrote:
karstopo wrote:

That was us - will be sure to flag you down the next time our paths cross!
Absolutely!
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

So far it seems that Christmas Bay has been the only place to go to catch any decent fish lately. Sounds like I might have to get off of my lazy butt and go fish Xmas Bay. :)
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Yakety_Yak wrote:So far it seems that Christmas Bay has been the only place to go to catch any decent fish lately. Sounds like I might have to get off of my lazy butt and go fish Xmas Bay. :)
I've been fishing the lower section of Christmas Bay lately since November 2-3 times a month and another area about the same. My latest theory is that the fish don't truly leave an area so much as just move around. In November, I found them concentrated in two spots. But now those two spots yield nothing even on a day with similar water levels. It's the same for the other area that isn't Christmas bay. I go in with the attitude "I know you are here, fish, somewhere not too far away". Then I look for clues. Clue number one in cold water times, bait. Bait flipping, especially. Clue number 2, structure. what is the bottom like? Is there a gut here, a bar, soft mud, some change in depth. Clue number 3, water movement. Trout especially will bunch up around a deeper spot next to a reef or bar with water moving over and around it. If I find something like this, I will probe carefully, just a few feet on your cast makes a difference and how your offering is presented makes a difference.

Keeping a journal or log helps. I can refer to previous years and see what worked in a place in similar conditions. Every tide, every wind, is subtly or greatly different. The conditions are never exactly the same. The fish are free to decide where to go to best exploit their opportunities to feed, stay warm, reproduce. I really enjoy the looking for clues. Catching a few fish there is just a confirmation I was on the right track. I don't think it is a bad thing to move off fish to try to find more fish. I really don't even like the term blind casting. I'm intentional about every cast. There is some clue I'm casting at, whether it be a sighted fish or a flipping mullet or a reef margin, I am casting at something. There are times I'm just out there enjoying the day and sunshine or whatever and just drifting along not really paying attention to much. Most of the time I'm doing my best at being a Sherlock Holmes of the Sea.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Yakety_Yak wrote:So far it seems that Christmas Bay has been the only place to go to catch any decent fish lately. Sounds like I might have to get off of my lazy butt and go fish Xmas Bay. :)
Entirely true.
Fish have all relocated to Christmas bay.
Fish only there.
Do not fish anywhere else.
Especially not where I go.
jgj5533

Post by jgj5533 »

karstopo wrote:
I've been fishing the lower section of Christmas Bay lately since November 2-3 times a month and another area about the same. My latest theory is that the fish don't truly leave an area so much as just move around. In November, I found them concentrated in two spots. But now those two spots yield nothing even on a day with similar water levels. It's the same for the other area that isn't Christmas bay. I go in with the attitude "I know you are here, fish, somewhere not too far away". Then I look for clues. Clue number one in cold water times, bait. Bait flipping, especially. Clue number 2, structure. what is the bottom like? Is there a gut here, a bar, soft mud, some change in depth. Clue number 3, water movement. Trout especially will bunch up around a deeper spot next to a reef or bar with water moving over and around it. If I find something like this, I will probe carefully, just a few feet on your cast makes a difference and how your offering is presented makes a difference.

Keeping a journal or log helps. I can refer to previous years and see what worked in a place in similar conditions. Every tide, every wind, is subtly or greatly different. The conditions are never exactly the same. The fish are free to decide where to go to best exploit their opportunities to feed, stay warm, reproduce. I really enjoy the looking for clues. Catching a few fish there is just a confirmation I was on the right track. I don't think it is a bad thing to move off fish to try to find more fish. I really don't even like the term blind casting. I'm intentional about every cast. There is some clue I'm casting at, whether it be a sighted fish or a flipping mullet or a reef margin, I am casting at something. There are times I'm just out there enjoying the day and sunshine or whatever and just drifting along not really paying attention to much. Most of the time I'm doing my best at being a Sherlock Holmes of the Sea.
Good advice here and nice report. I need to try bringing home a few oysters one trip.
Reel Yakkers

Post by Reel Yakkers »

Good report!
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

karstopo wrote:

Thanks for posting this karstopo. Been tough fishing the last few outings and posts like this keep us going! Thanks! :mrgreen:
NativeSon

Post by NativeSon »

Sounds like fun and good eating, karstopo.
I paddled to Confederate Reef Christmas week, could have filled a bushel basket with nice looking oysters.
I chose not to, didn't know if that was a safe location for one thing, even though I would have believe
they would be there. I’ve heard there is a state health dept. site that lists the approved oyster harvesting area.
Another reason is that oyster shucking is pretty low on my list of favorite activities.
Maybe a good compromise would be throwing some on the grill in the shell, no shucking! I might collect some next time out.
I have been slowly setting up a saltwater aquarium for Galveston critters over the last few months.
I did bring back some live oysters and oyster shell for the tank from my paddle.
It is absolutely amazing to see all the associated critters that appear once you get them back in water.
It helps remind me what an important part of the food chain oysters
are to those fish we chase.

Keep up those great posts!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

NativeSon, I don't know about confederate reef. Parts of West Galveston Bay are approved and parts aren't. I have a good oyster knife with a good handle. I wear cut proof gloves. You get in a rhythm after a few. I might go out and get some 3-4 times in a winter. The last batch got fried, made into oyster stew, and a oyster Rockefeller app. I don't usually shuck but what I need for that meal. I do it outside in the grass over a table. Keeps the kitchen free from flying shell and keeps the wife reasonably sane.
NativeSon

Post by NativeSon »

karstopo, sounds like you are definitely doing it the right way.
And those dishes sound mighty delicious!

BTW, was going to post a few pics of oyster-associated critters from my tank,
but after about a half-gazillion attempts and getting repeatedly "kicked out",
I finally wearily waved the white flag of defeat.
Why, oh why, do the gods of Cyberspace hate me?
Dark Overlords they...Grim Deniers.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

NativeSon wrote:karstopo, sounds like you are definitely doing it the right way.
And those dishes sound mighty delicious!

BTW, was going to post a few pics of oyster-associated critters from my tank,
but after about a half-gazillion attempts and getting repeatedly "kicked out",
I finally wearily waved the white flag of defeat.
Why, oh why, do the gods of Cyberspace hate me?
Dark Overlords they...Grim Deniers.
Yes, photos can be trouble here. I usually have to knock off a tiny crab or 2 from the oysters.