Blow out drum

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Blow out drum

Post by karstopo »

Launched 06:30. Wind northish, moderate. Paddled up wind and across the bay to semi-protected water. Started on a submerged reef. Lost a flounder, but soon moved off the reef because the waves made things tough. Moved over to a protected shoreline. Soon see the wake of a red 15 feet off my bow up against the grass. He kind of jetted off to my right and I thought I spooked him, but I made a back hand toss off my molting tail about 6 feet in front of him and got that familiar hit and run. He fought hard and mostly under my kayak, but I eventually got the net under him. Went 22".

Moved off the bank a little dealing with the fish and hydrating myself. Noticed trouty signs, bait getting chased. Kept the rod at ready and tossed to the first sign in range. Thump, get a head-shaking feisty 16" snake of a trout. Moments later I chunk the molting assassin tail to more bait getting harassed. Nothing happens until I'm about to bring in the tail. Whump, I play a lively trout into the net. This one goes 19".

The wind now had picked up and bent a little more easterly and my protected little spot was getting exposed. The trout green water started turning brown. The sign was gone. I spent the next hour trying to fish little protected spots with no action. I basically surfed in with a major Northeast chop on my stern. I Really had to be sharp in my commander to keep the water from topping the gunwales. Got back to the launch by a little after 10:00. Dumped about a gallon of water out of the Commander. I saw from the NOAA site the wind was a pretty short lived event.

Fine day to be out. Got some good exercise. Saw an excellent Crescent moon. The weather was comfortable. Got home in time for lunch, some football, a nap. Gotta love Saturdays in the fall.
crusher

Re: Blow out drum

Post by crusher »

Nice little report about adjusting to the described conditions - I appreciate the education. Sounds like a successful trip to be off the water by 10 with multiple netted keeper-size fish and home for lunch.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Blow out drum

Post by Cuervo Jones »

A perfect Saturday of ever there was one. Redfish have been burrowing under my kayak lately too. Word's gotten out among them that you can break off easily that way.