10-5-15

vicb276

10-5-15

Post by vicb276 »

I launched from Ernie's around 0700. Light winds out of the north, the tide had just started to run out. There was also a lot of haze in the sky and a smell of smoke in the air. I didnt see any birds working or any bait jumping. I didnt have a good feeling as I got off into the paddling trails. After several blind casts along the grass with a vudu mullet with nerry a strike, I started soaking dead shrimp. I couldnt have given one away!
At this point, I was beginning to smell a skunk and decided to head off to the north shoreline. Once I got up there, I staked out about 10 yards from a shore line with dead grass on it. Here, there was more activity in the water and birds on shore doing some fishing, too. After a few casts I hooked and released a rat red. Convinced I made the right move, I threw another cast in the same area. Then a tug, followed by a jump out the water and all H-E double hockey sticks breaking loose. This fish stayed on top, making a fast run straight into the shallow water, then up onto the dead grass! By this point, I'm freaking out as this thing thrashed and rolled on the grass until I pulled it off the bank into the water, where it started coming straight at me... Fast! I finally got it in the net and snapped this pic. Is this a mullet?
IMG_20151005_111500338_HDR.jpg
After releasing this thing, I continued along the same shore line, hooking 2 more rat reds and a fat, but under sized sheepie. It was around 1500, when I decided to call it a day and start the long peddle back to my truck.
DumpTruck

Re: 10-5-15

Post by DumpTruck »

Looks like a ladyfish.
vicb276

Post by vicb276 »

LOL... I sent my brother this pic, and he said "Looks like a mullet..." Ive never caught a lady fish that big and I've NEVER seen a fish run up onto a bank like that. It made my day!
StevenM
Location: Fredericksburg and Aransas Pass Texas Wilderness Ride 135

Post by StevenM »

Lot of fun hooking them.
Cut em up and chunk it back out. Redfish love em
yangjianhunt

Post by yangjianhunt »

I think it's a lady fish. They are super fast.
I hooked one before with shrimp under a float. The fish came to me so fast and flew out of water over my head and it was kind of scary.
They are amazingly fun to catch. Not food worthy at all. LOL.
The Angler

Post by The Angler »

That right there is a poor mans tarpon also known as a ladyfish,or skipjack depending on where your from.heck of a fun fish to catch
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

I caught one of those off Eagle Point about a month ago. It was certainly a runner and fast like you say. The one I caught was more greenish but the eye is the same. I would like to hook into a larger one than I caught just for the fight.
Attachments
Lady Fish
Lady Fish
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

Evil bait steeling ladyfish.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

If I had a choice I'd never hook one of those bait stealing, poop-shooting pains in the neck, until I caught a 4 plus pounder once. Man, I'll throw away a few live baits for that fun. A 2 pounder is fun. A 4 pounder will get your heart pumping. Poor man's tarpon.
Frreed

Post by Frreed »

Lotsa love for the ladyfish here. They are nasty, bleeding, excrement slinging and slimy, but hook into a nice one and none of that matters. Get a fly rod, tie one a bright fly and stip it fast. Better yet tie on a foam "gurgler" and have some top water fun. I have, actually, had them jump up in the air and hit the fly on the way down.

The standard 10-12 inchers are fun. Get one 20+ and you are in for a fight. 26+ and they will wear you out.

I never take a trip to Port A/AP without spending some time targeting the nasty little critters. They have, often turned a really off fishing day into a lot of fun.